Anyone using an OLED TV?

Steve calibrated my LG OLED 5 years ago and I’ve never had an urge to upgrade TV since. It is a must.

1 Like

Yes, I would never go back!

I even switched to an OLED PC monitor a couple of years back. This technology has had a couple of generations/iterations to improve now, my first OLED went back because of the ‘screen door’ effect where the TV struggled displaying very dark greys and initially my OLED monitor looked a bit odd with text and spreadsheets as the layout of the pixels was new at the time a couple of years back so didn’t display properly; all those issues were gone within a month (monitor had a firmware update, TV replaced under warranty) but these days I wouldn’t hesitate recommending a OLED now those teething issues with being an early adopter have gone. The difference between the technology with a side by side comparison is night and day, especially when it comes to contrast, vastly superior dynamic range.

1 Like

I had a 42 inch Panasonic plasma that I kept 10 years, I replaced it with a 55 inch Panasonic OLED for 4 years… Beautiful image, I do not get tired of it!

2 Likes

I pulled the trigger on a Panasonic UB9000 4K Blu-ray player. I will get it in two days.
I will compare it to my outgoing Sony X700 player.

7 Likes

Where are the dandelions, I think we should be told!

I received my Panasonic UB9000 4K disc player yesterday. Wow! The build quality is fantastic. It looks great and everything about it feels solid and well built.
The picture and audio quality it produces are perfect.

8 Likes

How is the 9000 going?
Have you connected the digital output from the 9000 into your NDX2 to get the best sound quality or are you using the analogue stereo outputs into the SN?
I found the DAC in my streamer gave much better sound quality than the DAC in the 9000 so always use the digital output now.

2 Likes

The 9000 is great! I am really happy with the player.
I have the sound going through HDMI from the 9000 to the TV, then an optical from the TV goes to the NDX2. It sounds wonderful.

3 Likes

After keeping a Panasonic plasma 10 years, give it to my daughter who has had it for 3 years and still works…, I bought a Panasonic OLED, the image is superb… I hope it will last like plasma!

2 Likes

Nice setup!

1 Like

Thank you, I am very satisfied!

I run a digital coaxial cable from my 9000 straight to my streamer/DAC to get the best sound quality out of the 9000.
Suggest you consider running coaxial or optical from your 9000 to your NDX2 for optimum sound quality rafher than sending the digital signal via your TV.

2 Likes

The LG 55" OLED i bought for my father in 2017 Is quite crap, nearly 2k euro and a remote from Easter egg gift and innatural colours. My Panasonic 50" led Is much better

2 Likes

I have a 55" LG OLED from 2018 and it’s great - very little difference to the current crop of OLED TVs. Have you adjusted the colours and turned off all/most of the digital wizardry? There are some good guides out there for optimising the set-up if you search Google. Makes a big difference to the quality of the picture. Remote on mine is also good, but I know this can vary from one model to another.

2 Likes

I run a 77” LG G3 and as others here say, the picture quality is gobsmacking. I use an Apple TV 4K to “drive” the G3 and use my Naim/ Sonus Faber/Velodyne rig as the sound system. Excellent sound too so very happy.

3 Likes

I was a previous Panasonic plasma fan, swapped to a mid level Sony OLED probably 3 years back now & couldn’t be happier. With regards to calibration, a website that can be very useful is rtings.com. They do in depth tv reviews & list their calibration settings. Obviously not all calibration settings are transferable for each specific model tv but it does give you recommendations for all the general settings, which should get you a pretty decent picture if you’re not interested in having it professionally calibrated.

3 Likes

I love the lg g3 I got a great deal on earlier this year picture and colours are stunning. Definitely keeping it for as long as I can. Lg and Sony would be the ones I look to for my next tv, Sony are definitely the best at oled at the moment but from what I can see lg aren’t that far behind and they charge a lot less for similar specs. I’d have to go further down the model range if I were buying a Sony. The only reason I discount Panasonic is that I’m a gamer and they aren’t doing as well on the HDMI front the company they use can’t do 4 full spec 2.1 HDMI.

Sony 77” A95L here. Exceeding my expectations at 10’ viewing distance. Olympics are beautiful from gymnastics to surfing.

The competition is stiff, but the Sony is not a mistake, IMHO.

I still love my mid-level 50-55” 2012 Sony LCD in the living room for its “uncritical” getting-the-job-done with beautiful contrast/black levels, at 17’.

Nick

I had a Pioneer plasma which failed me, I’ve had my curved c rang 55" OLES for approx 6 years picture quality is is on the way out …colours are bleeding on certain channels. I would buy another one… possibly Panasonic