Anyone using NDX2 with XPS-DR AND an outboard DAC (Naim/Chord/Other)?

I’ve had both streamers, and each reflect their price points respectively, as they should do. NDX 2 with PSU leaves the entry player for dust.

1 Like

… not with an external Chord DAC :grinning:

1 Like

Pretty big cost differential between the NDX2/XPS-DR and the ND5 XS2/Qutest so you would hope that it would offer some improvement. Slightly off topic but I have very recently purchased a Qutest which is hooked up to a BS Node 2i. My comparison is with my CDX2/XPS-DR. I am at the point where if I own the CD I will put that on as I think the CDX2 has the edge - level of detail very similar but a ‘punchier’ sound to my ears.

2 Likes

It does. I could not quantify how much, though. Some here would say massive, others much smaller but enough that it matters. For me, it is somewhere veering sharply from the former toward the latter. I don’t think I have cloth ears, but they’re certainly not as astute as many on here and even I can discern a pretty obvious difference. Cannot disagree in the cost differential (which I’ve talked about quite often), but if one can get the pair for what I did, which was ridiculously lower than any second-hand Naim purchases I’ve made in the past, then it would’ve been foolish of me not to go for it. Ask me to pay full price from a dealer and admittedly I would balk.

I would be curious at your findings against your CDX2…great player! It may very well have the edge, but for me the convenience of ripped CDs and having nearly any band or artist available at the touch of a finger via Qobuz and Tidal makes it a no-brainer for me regardless of an edge. I like your description of ‘punchier’.

1 Like

I have posted the following in the similar Atom/Qutest discussion but it may be more appropriate to ask here.

I am running a Node (current model) in to a Qutest and on to the 252/300.
When Naim have integrated the Amazon HD app in to their streamers my intention is to move up a level with my digital source. Given the multiple combinations of Naim transport, separate psu, and external dacs discussed above, what should my next move be?

Thanks for any thoughts based on your experiences.

Whew…lots to consider here, @bruss. Since you’re planning on moving up to the next level of streamer at some point, obviously waiting is the first move. :grin: I only say that because I was going to suggest finding the best linear supply you can find/prefer and put it on the Node and Qutest. I am a proponent of power supplies, so this came to me initially. At the very least place one on the Qutest. The benefits are quite clear to me. Otherwise, a SuperCap into the 252 is what I’d really be saving up for if that were my system (which, BTW, I’m jealous).

Then there are those who might say get an MScaler for the Qutest…
Then you could instead forget all of the above and wait until you get the new streamer, adding an XPS-DR or PS555 or whatever will be compatible with the new streamer…

:rofl:

I really like the idea of a Nain streamer. The qutest does deserve a better psu but I haven’t quite decided on a low cost upgrade such as an MCRU, or to go all out, especially as I plan to replace them at some time with the Naim device.

The 252 has a n sc dr at the mo, but I am awaiting delivery of a 552 DR due anytime soon. the 252/SCDR will be sold thus releasing funds for the streamer upgrade if I go that way.

Waiting you say? mmmmm, I’m not good at that, and this place keeps putting thought s into my head. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He was serious, unfortunately. :joy:

1 Like

I should’ve looked at your profile.

It’s closed isn’t it Richard?

Yes, but not “vanished”.

It’s a long read. :rofl:

1 Like

I would be very interested in a Naim Streaming Transport that included Amazon Music. Preferably with a really good PS (XPS-DR standard) built in so it is a single box solution.

I love my CDX2. I was so pleased that it was not outclassed by the Node/Qutest combination. On the convenience front I understand what you are saying. There are times when I cannot be bothered to get up to put an LP or a CD on so It is great to be able to stream. On the SQ front I have quite a few HDCD and SHM-CD discs and I find these to be really excellent and easily better than hi-res streams - though that may be down to the (re-)mixing rather than bit rates and depths.

1 Like

Interesting. I just demoed both the Naim ND5 XS2 and the NDX2 but found the best for me was the ND5 XS2 with a Chord Cutest.

2 Likes

That is the sort of information that I would like to hear being unable tp get to a demo. Can you say why you preferred it that way?

Normally you should have observed no difference between those transports or a better sound when the Ndx2 transport was used.
So I am surprised you preferred the Nd5xs2 vs Ndx2 into Chord dac.

Was that
ND5 XS2&Chord Qutest vs. bare NDX2,
or
ND5 XS2&Chord Qutest vs. NDX2&Qutest

Apologies if it was obvious by context, I couldn’t work it out from the thread!

That’s interesting as well. I’m with @frenchrooster on this, as when I demoed the NDX2 and ND5 XS2/DAC combo, I could discern no real difference, so my decision to purchase the XS2 and add a Qutest was an easy decision both sound-wise and savings account-wise. To me, there wasn’t anything in it, though I wish there would’ve been.

1 Like