App update live- introducing network diagnostics

At least in my case that’s because there are no problems and the scan is inventing problems that don’t exist

I think the clue is in the title :wink:

LOL :joy: an engaged bunch. Thank you for the new diagnostic feature. Good to know it’s there if needed. Won’t be running it as I have no issues right now and don’t need to invent any in my head ( I have enough issues). Now how do I justify to the wife upgrading from a Star to separates within a year?

1 Like

Carefully, with lots of Christmas presents, and plenty of love

1 Like

Interesting. I did the scan 2 x before with exactly the same network speed, getting mid orange ‘moderate’. Now it’s very good. :upside_down_face:

Me too.

Maybe our networks have realised we are checking them, and they have decided to be very good!

3 Likes

Just done another check - last time it was moderate, now with the same speed its Very good, and now on 2 issues instead of three

Then just to confirm, I repeated the test, and now its back to Moderate with 4 issues

Thought I’d try once more, and Voila

Nothing like a bit of consistency

FYI: These were all done with the NDX2 powered off

Mine now reports “very good”. Perhaps someone has recalibrated the model?

No change here, my network still sucks

Still moderate here, but now I have two unidentified issues instead of three. Speed still a multiple of what any Naim streamer supports, both up and down.

On a re-run it’s back to three unidentified issues…

Perhaps Naim can at the very least publish some guidance on what (if anything) is tested other than a speedtest from the phone, and how to interpret the results?

We have no wired internet available locally. Solution is a 4g sim in a t-link Wi-Fi router. Download 50mbs upload 3mbs.
Nd5 xs2 as streamer the app shows moderate performance.

Latency/jitter rather than bandwidth are likely your main limitation.

Definite recalibration since I first tested this feature.

G

What a pointless tool

Both ND5XS2 are hard wired, full Ubiquiti Wi-Fi setup within my home signal strength everywhere is excellent and I receive a moderate rating :grin:

Second test 3 hours later

I think it’s fine, useful for me, even I have 1G down with the latest wifi mesh, cisco switch.

In what way is it useful to you?

Very simple, the more info the better. I can use this info to double check the health of my wifi system.

From an engineering point of view, you always double check, triple check, or even quadruple check everything, sometimes you think it’s good, but it is not, especially you have already spent a vast amount of money on your hifi system. You do want your system to perform optimally.

I am from a math and engineering background , so my mindset is what you see is not what you get. Maybe I am paranoid?

But all it’s giving you is what you can get from running a Speedtest app on your smartphone. It’s telling you nothing at all about what your Naim system is doing.

I am an engineer too btw.

do you trust your speed test app? I do not !

The one I use gives me much the same results as the Naim app and I suspect it is actually the same speed tester under the skin, Ookla in fact.

But I can see what I’m doing and check results from different servers and also see the ping if I use the Speedtest app. So yes I do trust it far more than the confused nonsense about “my network” that the Naim app offers.

1 Like