App update live- introducing network diagnostics

Oh so sorry to hear that Nigel, I think you better put in a top of the range router, with fibre connections to all devices around the house, and thin the walls down a bit to get WiFi through - hopefully that will resolve all three issues :wink:

We only get 38Mbps down and 5.3 up which is about the max from BT here and still get a moderate rating, so I’m happy!

I’m getting the same odd behaviour as @Sgm2010 but can’t see any useful replies to his question. Have I missed it or can @Naim.Marketing help?

Ha ha… with almost 10 x that speed I still get moderate. Interesting… :grinning:

So do I as in post 2. The explanation given above by Naim community support doesn’t jive (assessment relative to 1Gbps). It’d be nice to understand how that assessment is derived, clearly it’s not only dependent on upload/download speed. Device discovery on my iphoneX is instantaneous most of the time. HD iRadio streaming works great even on my gen1 Muso.

Moderate assessment is indeed an inaccurate qualification from my perspective, as everything works! Don’t really care about the score, I am just curious what the tech/tool does and how.

I am confused by what number you have to input. I don’t have to input anything anywhere.

On Android, I go to the Rooms screen and tap the question mark, bringing me to the explanation page. At the bottom of the page there is a “User id:”, which I assume is the one that can be provided to Naim support for further analysis. Below it is the Network Scan button, and tapping it starts the scan. When it is done, it shows a “Your Key” at the top of the results page, which is the same as the “User id” on the explanation page. (The naming inconsistency could be improved).

The results for me are, apart from the correct speed test, still 100% wrong.

• “Area may have BAD coverage”. “poor signal strength”.
    – Incorrect, the phone reports “excellent”, the router config shows channel congestion and connection speeds at good levels, the actual measured speed that the app measured is fine. Anyways, the streamer is wired.
  • “Are you using a firewall, VPN, or parental controls?”, “if you do use any of these service, please try disabling them to see if your problem is solved”.
    – No I don’t, and there is never a problem with anything. Why do you ask??
  • “Your network is not secured”, “connected to a network that does not use a password or secure encryption”, “we recommend using WPA2”.
    – Completely wrong, of course the wifi is using WPA2
1 Like

Interestingly, when I do the scan now, no number is requested and I am getting the same network analysis screens as others are. However, given the inaccurate assessment of my system, the chances of me doing any further Network scans using what Naim has provided are slim to none.

1 Like

After the Software team finishes wiping the egg off their faces from this fiasco, maybe they could focus on things we actually want like Apple Music integration and Amazon Music integration?

1 Like

Had a bad day mate?

All seems ok now and the test works for me as per the instructions.

1 Like

I got the same exact thing. What are the issues? I set my phone on top of my Nova and did the test and then did the same test on Ookla. Ookla said speed was like 650 Mbs download and 500 Mbs upload with really good jitter and latency numbers. In other words, no network issues at all. The Naim tool, on the Wi-Fi in the same spot on top of my Nova said my speed was about half what Ookla did, and said I had 3 “issues” and yellowish “moderate” network health.

FWIW, I have never had any streaming issues, even with different 4k video streams going on 3 TVs at once.

Really strange app feature here.

I do not get this feature at all. It tells me the Internet speed, which is reported correctly. I.e. I’m maxing out my ISP’s connection, whose bandwidth is higher than the 100Mbps my streamers support. Somehow it’s still moderate.

It doesn’t tell me anything else, yet when I click “Improve network health” it tells me I have three issues, just not which three…

How will this help anyone solve any issue with their Naim streamer?

I have 2 muso and since the last firmware this is not working well. I think naim is not doing a good job on this.

Bourg, you mean the network diagnostics are not working for you? Have you been in contact with Naim support yet?

p.s. as per forum rules, please post in the English language. There are translation services freely available online to assist you here.

Same here …

I contacted naim support, talk to Jimmy R. We did some network tests, everything is normal I have the strongest thing, he sent me a fix for my mu-so , it didn’t work, I spoke with him again and the only solution he found was to connect the two mu-so directly by internet cable and it’s passable, I’ve been trying to make it work with spotify, I have come to the conclusion that there is incompatibility with this streaming broadcaster.

Thanks Clare
The new network diagnostic tool worked without a hitch.

I’m mildly amused that much of the commentary here concerns the network diagnostics utility giving a network a lower “grade” than expected, rather than there being a real functional problem.

There has been no comment, as far as I can see, about another fix in 5.3 that addresses ongoing issues with Tidal. The objective of the recent legacy firmware and app updates was to adapt to changing Tidal log-in authorization procedures. But the first few iterations seemed to cause problems with Tidal. I had to power cycle my NDS at least daily to play Tidal content. I’m happy to report that the latest version seems to have solved this. I’d be interested to know what others have experienced in this regard.

1 Like

I get a ‘Moderate’ grade for my Network ,despite havd 700+ down /500+ up most of the time and have absolutely no problems whatsoever. I think this is down to one ‘issue’ which is that I run the whole apartment using a Mesh Network and its a more a standard warning BECAUSE I’m using said Network.

I think the issue is not that, I think why people are picking it apart a bit is that it’s announced as this big feature when it actually doesn’t do much of anything useful. Had it been a footnote in the release notes instead of a separate sticky I don’t think anyone would have cared.

The bottom line, as previously pointed out by a few members, is that it doesn’t actually tell you anything about your Naim streamer. Only about your phone (in it’s current location) and/or ISP bandwidth. And then, in many cases, it proceeds to suggest that there’s a problem when the result of the little it does do clearly indicates there isn’t.

Maybe there’s a plan to extend it in future releases and add some more advanced diagnostics functionality to the streamers themselves, but then it probably would have been better to save the big announcement for that time.

2 Likes