Are these phono boards authentic?

I just bought these brand new MM boards for my 52 off a well known auction site from an authorized Naim dealer. Something seems off about them. Can it be determined from these pictures if they are authentic?

A check with the serial numbers to Naim HQ might help.
I get what you mean for brand new they look a bit retro but that’s maybe how they are. :thinking:

1 Like

I just had the most odd experience with a Rega P3/Exact.

I got no sound through a 52/sc/250 using those MM boards and BNC to RCA adapters. An NDX2 was connected to the Aux input via a DIN to RCA interconnect while I tried using the P3.

I got no sound through a 32.5/hicap/250 using MM boards for shoebox preamps. The 32.5 had the BNC sockets replaced with RCAs, so no adapters were needed. Same result on both sets of phono inputs. No other sources were connected to the 32.5.

Both systems are working fine when fed with sources through DIN inputs.

Tried the P3/Exact through the internal phono stage of a Nait 2 and it worked perfectly.

I’m at a loss.

Raise it with them.

2 Likes

Is Naim really still building MM boards for a 52? New old stock I could believe, but new?

1 Like

This is a potentially 30 year old amp. These may well be NOS atock

The demand for these boards will have been miniscule (in the wider electronics market context). I really can’t believe that anyone would go to the bother of making clones/copies.

2 Likes

They look slightly different to the ones I’ve seen. @NeilS could probably confirm or not whether they are legit.

1 Like

I am sure these NOS eBay 5xx boards have been mentioned previously…
(search should be deployed)

There are NOS - they would have been built many years ago. They should have a number, such as 523/2 - signifying version 2 of the 523 board (*). They do not have Serial Numbers.

Probably will work, but a service should be considered… IMO.

YMMV, as always etc… :crazy_face:

(* think I can see 522/4B and 522/4T…? So they are MM boards. Top and Bottom…? 5xx boards are handed. Whereas 3xx boards are not.)

1 Like

PS. Checking my own 5xx boards, I can see B & T on mine, so thats right.

(look at the right hand edge of the lower 522 board - 522/4 T - just below the Gold contact)

More Naim Learning… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Previous posts re NOS 5xx boards -

1 Like

@snarfy what do you think is going on here? Sounds like you’re trying to get sound out of your P3 consistently. You can when it’s connected to a NAIT, but not with either of 32.5/3 series phono boards, or 52/5 series phono boards? Is that a fair summary? And if so, are you wondering if these 5 series boards are legit?

Is there anything common in the setup of the 32.5 & 52? Gently asking: did you fit the boards to both pre amps? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not Possible. 32.5 uses 3xx boards, 52 uses 5xx boards.

Not The Same. Very Different.

Has either NAC worked before, with Phono boards…?

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant in each respective case, did the OP fit the 3xx boards to the 32.5, and the 5xx boards to the 52. In other words, could they have been fitted incorrectly? And also why I asked gently :slight_smile: Put another way, is the common factor the operator who fitted the boards?

Understood. Same Coin, Different Sides.

I have certainly managed to misfit 5xx boards (so NAC52 etc), which resulted in a dead channel. Refitting fixed it, though. 3 xx boards (so 32 etc) are easier to fit/remove - as the actual contacts are in clear sight.

I am more confused by the 32.5 not working, because of this.

I also wonder if there are links not cut involved. Hence my question - has either NAC worked with Phonos before…

1 Like

I have some Naim 5xx phono cards as well, previously owned 3xx cards as well, never noticed any serial number on these.
They were however marked 322, 323…etc.

2 Likes

Thats correct, IMHO… :thinking:

Thanks for that.
I thought all the gear was numbered like Linn.
Schoolboy error. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

They look genuine to me.
We still build these!

Regards
Neil.

7 Likes

Wow - really…? All varieties…? N, S, K & E…?

More Naim Info…!!

Fair enough, but the listing said they were authentic so I feel it’s been raised.
If I go back to them I want to be armed with some evidence that they are possibly not authentic.