Are Transmission Line Speakers Out of Fashion

Resonance is a matter of hitting a resonant frequency. Ergo they hit one the Titans don’t or at least with more energy.

Always correct to find the right speaker for your room and it appears you have.

Thanks for all the replies. I had not known that PMC speakers used a transmission line.
I am interested in the topic because I am considering the purchase of a stand-mount speaker made by Falcon Acoustics that is based on the BBC LS3/5A but incorporates a transmission line. I can find very little information about it online. (It’s a ‘DIY-kit’ speaker so I would probably have to purchase it unheard).

I assume you mean the IMF 100 kit? Looks like an interesting speaker! IMF were a manufacturer of TL designs as @Innocent_Bystander says above, intrigued what relationship falcon acoustics have to them, as I assume the name isn’t a coincidence. And the design looks superficially similar to the IMF compact monitor 2??

Anyway, the FA site has links to some positive reviews, and like any DIY speaker, at least part of the fun is the unknown factor :slight_smile:

But if TL then only superficial as the Super Compact wasn’t a transmission line design.

But Falcon are good, and if they’ve designed it I would be surprised if it is rubbish, though how good is another matter.

Aye, I noticed after doing a bit of reading up on the compact 2. I haven’t heard of a resistive reflex design before.

The IMF 100 does looks like a good value kit as the TL cabinet comes pre made, be interesting if you go ahead with it @Bonang - how’s the decision making going??

Back in the 70’s, when I was first interested in HiFi - and before the Linn/Naim thing was a ‘thing’ - I recall the IMF TLS80’s being touted at the speakers to aspire to.

images

2 Likes

I bought the bottom of the TL range, the TLS50ii, above that was the TLS 80 and then the RSPM (at that point in time I think the IV). Some 15 years later I came across someone selling a pair of RSPMs at a very good price - though an older model, no other number so might have been Mk 1. I snapped them up and they did me the next 25 years, till I changed them for PMC EB1i, and then PMC MB2.

I recall a Hifi magazine review back in early 1970s when they set a pair of IMFs - I don’t know if RSPM or TLS80 on a stage, High Wycombe Town Hall for some reason comes to mind but I could be wrong, and they compared a live performance with a recording through those speakers. The reviewer was impressed. (I’d love to see that article again!)

Then there is this: What's the best-sounding system you've ever heard? - #25 by Innocent_Bystander

I once had a pair of IMF reference standard speakers that sounded and felt amazing. Unfortunately I had to let them go as I was travelling overseas for a number of years. I eventually settled down and brought a pair of TDLs Studio 3 speakers that I still have, they are over 30 years old and still going strong. They are made by the late John Wright who was also part owner of IMF Electronics. If you want to feel the bass go thru you get a good pair of transmission lines and play some Bob.

1 Like

The “IMF 100” kit is indeed the speaker I am thinking about.
I am glad to hear that transmission-line speakers are still considered a viable option.
I have not come to any decision yet, and I probably won’t do anything this side of Christmas.

2 Likes

The kit looks like fun and well made.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.