Are you "All White"?

I didn’t mind green lights, but they were brighter than they needed to be and cast a distinctive colour across the room which didn’t always blend in with our colour schemes. So I prefer white because it’s more or less neutral, although still brighter than they need to be.

1 Like

Only the very earliest chrome bumper kit had red lights before they switched to green.

1 Like

Before the Naim logos were illuminated, they were white or silver…

CB NAP250 -

(or some weird colour…)

4 Likes

A photo collage as a joke or is there any truth in it?

1 Like

Yes, it was a slivery white. Unfortunately, when Naim changed to a polycarbonate fascia around '85, age and light would turn the logo from silvery white to a more bronze colour.

2 Likes

It currently applies to the 500 series kit, although you can still specify a green logo for the time being, if you so wish, provided they are still available.

3 Likes

It’s odd that only HiFi Pig seem to know about it. You’d think Naim would put it as news on the website, though given the website is pretty dreadful it’s perhaps not a surprise.

4 Likes

Naim sent out a communication to all their dealers and distributors today.

2 Likes

That means the new 500 series will take longer to come

1 Like

They look really good with the white logos.

2 Likes

Baleful red, Rega
Sickly green, old classic Naim
corpse white, New Classic Naim
belligerent blue, Linn
? yellow, ?

1 Like

I really couldn’t give a flying mouse mat what colour the light is.

5 Likes

Oh my, a bunch of old sad old musos debating logo colours :frowning_face:

And more seriously what future the 5s, XS and SN3?

2 Likes

Meh, change for change’s sake. Marketing department out of control, yet again. What next, McIntosh with white lights ? Not a chance, it’s their trademark, just like green was Naim’s.

3 Likes

I’d probably be happy with any colour except white.

2 Likes

It’s worth remembering that the white lit logo is nothing new and has been a part of Naim kit for almost 10 years now (Statement, Mu-Sos, New Unitis…).

3 Likes

It’s a worthwhile discussion I think. It’s a small but significant change to the 500 series, which has been top of the Naim real world tree for a good few years, certainly in the case of the amplifiers. Their green logo is part of their visual character.

I can see the logic, as the newer stuff, Statement, mu-so, Uniti, NC boxes, are all white. White certainly aids matching, but who’d be matching 500 series with New Classics? Given that the 500 must have but a short time to live, it seems slightly odd.

3 Likes

My BD NAP160, purchased in 1978, had a green light on/off switch.

2 Likes

My set of NAP500DR need an update then!

I had asked if the S1 Pre white could be offered in green years ago when I ordered mine - and was told ‘yes - for a price’ …and was too intimidated to further enquire into just how much extra and have come to love the white. Also you get a 10 or 16 bit choice via the remote of which shade of white you want to have. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I would miss the little green lights in the dark when playing music. I turned the S1 white down to about the same subjective brightness and it works well enough.

All good - just don’t have the default white too bright - or offer dimming options. :bear:

DB.

It strikes me that if the OC500 series only had a short time to live, they wouldn’t have bothered with this. Rather I think it suggests that any new 500 series is actually some years away.

Just my two penneth.

3 Likes