Are you sitting comfortably?

I am giving some serious thought to getting a reclining chair/lounger in which to listen to my music. Having seen some amazing rooms in the Systems Pics 2020 I was wondering what people thought about recliner/lounge chairs. I have looked at the Stressless chairs which have a mixed review on quality and comfort. I would dearly love an Eames chair and ottoman but at £5000 is a bit out of my reach. Are the reproduction Eames chairs worth looking at or are there chairs that I should investigate more closely.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Steve

1 Like

We managed to find a Eames chair in a local second hand shop. The dealer said it was a knock-off but in all our investigations it appears to be an original production.
A friend has a couple of newer reproduction chairs and all are very comfortable and good for enjoyable relaxed listening sessions.

2 Likes

I think with a lounge chair like the Eames, which I did consider, I’d fall asleep too easily. :smiley: This rocker works for me.

5 Likes

I have two Stressless chairs. One has the separate ottoman the other has the power (battery) leg lift. My Mom also has two, hers are 20 years old. Quality of hers and mine are both excellent.I’d also love a real Herman Miller Eames chair but $5k is a bit stiff. If it wasn’t for this damn virus :microbe: I’d suggest you visit a Stressless gallery, lots of different styles to try on. FYI Stressless chairs come in three different sizes

1 Like

get yourself one these things, the last word in style and awkward to pronounce; you’ll wonder what you ever saw in that dowdy arm chair.

chaise lounge
the sofa won’t like it, and may try to convince you it is one, best keep them separate.

3 Likes

That made me smile - there is a Tom Waits song in which he deliberately mispronounces chaise longue as chaise lounge. I’ll try to remember which song.

It’s Step Right Up which along with What’s He Building InThere are my favourite Tom Waits lyrics just brilliant.

It gets rid of unwanted facial hair, it gets rid of embarrassing age spots,
It delivers a pizza, and it lengthens, and it strengthens
And it finds that slipper that’s been at large
Under the chaise lounge for several weeks
And it plays a mean Rhythm Master,
It makes excuses for unwanted lipstick on your collar
And it’s only a dollar, step right up, it’s only a dollar, step right up

3 Likes

Cheers harper. Cannot for the life of me think why I had not put this on my list of possible contenders! Just need some palm fronds swaying gently in the background and I will be in audio nirvana!

Congratulations Azher on your spectacular find. Very envious.

I will have a careful look opus at the stressless chairs. I have not ruled them out completely but I noticed a website that had almost 90% negative comments about them which concerned me somewhat.

Cheers everyone.

Sorry mike33 for not acknowledging your suggestion. I have hardwood floors and I think that it would slide all over the place but you were not to know that but thanks anyway.

Steve

Get down to Ikea. Loads of choice, good vfm - I cannot get my head round spending £5k on a chair!

I agree, but avoid the Poang at £60. I bought one, it’s nice, comfy and has a bit of flex that cushions sitting down a bit and the associated footrest makes for a nice relaxed sitting position for an evening’s listening. But the arms… They’re flat wood with corners and after a while the corners dig into the elbows and become incredibly uncomfortable, Mine is now unused in another room.

Yes! That’s the one. I love that song and sometimes quote bits when people go OTT about their latest life changing hifi experience. You did, though, miss the best line - it gives you an erection it wins the election.

1 Like

If you have the space the Varier Gavity is a great chair, tilting back into a “zero gravity” position when desired but offering several others and rocking, too. Peter Opsvik is a great designer.

5 Likes

This one, called “Lamino” is perfect, for me anyway. Light, so moving it around is easy.

3 Likes

The Lamino is a beautiful chair and comfy, but I’d already got this stressless with electric foot rest. We’ve had several bits of their furniture over nearly 40 years…always excellent. This was an ex showroom model and non of our furniture matches, so colour wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

I inherited my Eames and foot stool from my uncle; it must be 20 plus years old. It was my main chair but has now been relegated to the study, where I have an Unitiqute Mk1 with ceiling speakers. However, my dog has always liked it, so we share it, but he has the majority share.

1 Like

No worries @Steve2. I understand, we have hardwood floors too. Our rocker is sitting on an area rug. It would not work well directly on the hardwood. Hope you find the perfect chair. Happy listening.

Hi, I have a suggestion what about the Herman Miller Eames chair which has time and time again proved itself to be comfortable to listen to anything or just contemplate.

1 Like

Looks like a luxury dentist’s chair!

1 Like

Ha ha…but way more comfortable and less terrifying.