Are you sitting comfortably?

But then there are many people wouldn’t spend £5k on hifi let alone Tens of thousands.

I find that chairs that come up around my head level interfere with the sound.

Does anyone else notice this?

I would like to be able to lay back on a headrest and listen - but in practice a lower backed chair with my head at least 2 feet from the rear wall sounds better.

I do use a cushion behind my head at times and that definately dulls the sound compared with the headrest alone.

Yes, that is inevitable. Best sound quality is probably as you describe, without a headrest unless it is only the width of the head or less like many car headrestraints, and with the chair well away from wall behind.

If you do use a chair with headrest wider than width of your skull then soft fabric and deep padding might be best, providing something not acoustically reflective.

I just had a chair revelation.
I am using a Varier Balans kneeling stool with backrest in my new bedroom office.

That leaves a Hermann Miller Aeron chair and another task chair available as listening chairs.

The 2nd of these can be raised up until the seat is 21 inches off the ground.

This solves the issue @Richard.Dane raised about wanting to try raising his listening position 3 or 4 inches higher up.

It’s comfortable, padded, it swivels, the back tilts, the arms move up and down, but it doesn’t come up above shoulder height and hamper the free movement of sound waves around the listener’s head.

I just tried it as listening chair, with a footrest, and it does really suit the sound pattern in the room.

2 Likes

This would come in handy during those prog rock flute solos.

3 Likes

I would struggle to get out of that after a few sherbets!
:grin:

2 Likes

We bought a couple of Windy chairs from the Dutch company Montis. It’s a little too dark to take a meaningful picture, but I will post one later.

My Naim system is located in the bedroom.
So I’m listening laying comfortably on my bed and it sounds quite good to my ears.

2 Likes

Perfect!

1 Like

I always feel that it’s quite decadent to lie in bed listening to music. But I love it.

Reminds me of student days!

1 Like

Great for Po-Going to the Sex Pistols!
:grin:

It’s quite relaxing and you can still move your fingers and toes :blush:
And someone can admire his sockets non stop which appears to be important as the system pics thread reveals.

1 Like

It’s working great for different activities :blush:

1 Like

I’m sure there are people lying on their coaches when listening to music. I just use my bed. But I can enjoy music seating either :blush:

Needless to say my untidy scruffy student rooms never looked that smart, but I think all of us had the hi-fi bug to some extent and had various budget systems in our ‘digs’.

From memory I had a lovely Arcam alpha amp, Linn Axis/Basik/K9 and B&W 110 speakers on Linn stands. Maybe added a Philips CD 473 at some stage but not a patch on my friend’s cheaper more musical Yamaha.

An overseas student friend fuelled my hi-fi journey during vacations by kindly letting me ‘look after’ his Pink Triangle turntable, Onix OA 21, Nakamichi deck and some neat little speakers (maybe Missions). Perhaps I just saved him an upgrade in storage costs!

Living room and the room that we are living:)

Both chairs chosen by my wife.

Grasshopper and Eames Lounge

4 Likes

Your wife clearly has great taste.
Fabulous chairs and iconic classics

@CBR600 she thanks you :slight_smile: