Aro tracking

Buy a digital diamond scale meter on a chinese website.
Very cheap and much better to read.
My brother have had a Aro and i always set it up for him.
He had a Linn Akiva as cartridge.
What is did was first the height of the arm.
Then the balance weight with a round level on the head of the cartridge.
Warning with that, don’t play any record, just set the needle gentle on a record that stand still, no spinning. Mostly it wil around 1-3mm from the side. I see it is now complete at the side with your arm.
Then i did the heavy weaght on the back.
Afther testing we came around 1.82gram for the best balance in sound for the weight. Without the round level on the shelf of course.
The fish cord we put on the third position. On the second position we hear in channel disbalance.
It cost about 15min. intens listening and then it is oke.
Sorry for my english.

1 Like

That looks great sir!

Per the other post, the Aro does sound better slightly lower in the back. That being said, we are talking a matter of a mm or so, not extreme. I have gone to the extreme of reverse engineering the Aro so I could redraw in AutoCad. That has allowed me to determine the height that the arm pillar needs to be at from the base when I use the set screw to NIP it up and hold it in place. Get yourself a good round bubble level, and it will be easier. Until then, by eye should be close enough. At one time I didn’t use the azimuth weight at all because I did not have one, and the dealer used a fozometer and the channel balance was right on.

Scott

1 Like

Thank you very much. Please don’t apologise for your English when it’s a second language, you do better than I do and it’s my only language😬

Thank you very very much. I have read every word you posted in this thread and the other one. I have taken on board your advice. It’s a learning curve, the more I learn from fellow members like yourself my understanding, comprehension and insight broadens. :pray:

Thanks Scott, I can tell you that Roy Buchanan “Live in Japan” sounds pretty dam good with a cold beer after a long night shift.
Have taken all wisdom on board and will put into place.
Thank you so much to you and all the other awesome forum members for the input. :pray::pray::musical_score:

Having the ARO leads dressed to the right or left of the pivot is a bit of a red herring. The object is to arrange them so that the torsion from the wires acting on the arm is as consistent as possible over the arc that the stylus describes when playing a record. The goal is to avoid adding or subtracting from the bias setting to any great degree and to avoid the wires tilting the arm cup to one side and thus changing the azimuth. These goals are almost impossible to reach, but you can get close.

I’ve noticed that some examples of the ARO have longer lead out wires than others and this may help a user decide which is the best way to dress them.

Also, the wires should not touch the inside of the arm cup or the bearing post during playing. If they rub it will affect the signal. Again, I t’s not easy to arrange this, but worth the effort.

Regards,
Mark Dunn

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.