Artistic album covers

Having bored everyone in the house with prog for the last few days thought I’d play some early 80’s pop/electronica.

Decided on Depeche Mode and the beauty of A Broken Frame’s cover just struck me due to the colours:

Scares me to think I was a teen when this was released and it’s almost 40 years old.

I wouldn’t even say this is a favourite album cover, just for some reason it struck me as quite refined.

What are your favourite arty yet tasteful covers? In other words please avoid ones which would be highly controversial now. There are a few classic albums with completely unacceptable cover images for this day and age, and a few baffle me how they were accepted decades ago.

Potentially follows on from this in many ways:

4 Likes

Two all-time favourites (art and albums):

3 Likes

5 Likes

Apologies, what is the first album?

Nice though prefer this Talk Talk cover:

3 Likes

Oops, sorry!
Grateful Dead Aoxomoxoa
I love it…

3 Likes

The same photographer did the first 5 DM album covers up to and including Black Celebration.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Wow, didn’t know that, the later ones seem a bit more industrial to me though I think alll had a slightly political angle.

The second is Sniffen Court - a block away from my apartment.

3 Likes

Some very artfully things going on here.

Artful dodgers?

Their best mop top shop prop shot.

2 Likes

Yes. I remember our chat on another thread - or was it on Hoffman?

Art as they say is in the eye of the beholder but here’s a selection…

I could go on all night :innocent:

2 Likes

All you need is this:

accept no substitutes

4 Likes

My favourite lp covers are the 4ad / v23 artwork for Cocteau twins, pixies, etc.

2 Likes

Could have been either.

Hoffman I think.
IIRC you posted a photo of Sniffen Ct from the street, which was great as I’d never seen that view.

I like the covers for The Gloaming albums. Baffling but moving somehow. They’re by Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison I think. Perhaps the one for The Gloaming 2 is my favourite:

Roger

5 Likes