Artistic album covers

Cover painting by Betty Swanwick, ARA. It’s a reworking of her painting The Dream.

10 Likes

I actually think I’ve posted it twice. Once a number of years ago - which was definitely Hoffman - and once within the past year or so.

@jegreenwood

Past year or a little bit more would be when I saw your pic.
One day, I’d love to visit SC, but…a pipe dream I think.

Gerhard Richter

5 Likes

Raymond Pettibon

5 Likes

Mike Kelley

3 Likes

Richard Prince

2 Likes

John Fahey

3 Likes

Oh so many to chose from!

5 Likes

I love this. So bold, so modern. Suits the music to a tee. So good I bought it twice…
The Pollock is seen through a cutout. Whole painting inside the gatefold.

Actually, I had the mono for years, then found a stereo of similar age (didn’t want a modern reissue)

4 Likes

Alright, kid. You made a point. You like SY!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That one’s a bit of a dark horse, @anon10403888

1 Like

I think it’s a great cover, Steve, by My Brightest Diamond. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wonder how many copies they wouldn’t have sold had it not been for the artwork?!

BTW I think musically its an amazing classic and worth the sales for the music alone.

3 Likes

I have her EP somewhere. Great song on it, Dreaming Awake
I’ll have to root around and find it.
Beautiful voice and arrangements.

1 Like

Pretty tough to beat Grace Jones, I reckon. There are some fantastic album artwork photos of her.

6 Likes

Dream landscape.

Well and they regularly collaborated with artists for their covers, seems to be the topic

‘Artistic’ of course depends on one’s personal viewpoint… Doubtless many in my collection, the following immediately springing to mind:

My teenage years of sticking the inserts from my latest purchases on my bedroom wall long past, only the middle one above do I think of as art in its own right, though the others undoubtedly qualify as album art.

(Re the middle one, I went to an exhibition of Roger Dean’s work three of four years ago, and the originals are quite stunning.)

7 Likes