Asset UPnP

Room for two ?

I went trough M Picard soft, I wonder if there is some best setup guideline in order to avoid messing up with large libraries I have on my servers

K canā€™t really back up as my library is 40 TB

Thatā€™s a lot of ripped CDs! But still perfectly able to be backed-up.

2 Likes

@Thruster04 I donā€™t see any question posted by you on this subject to the dBpoweramp Asset forum, do you intend to do this?

Yes I do. Iā€™ve received lots of tips and advice here but Asset certainly is behaving strangely. Using UPnP in Windows 10 the only problem is that tracks are only played alphabetically. As Asset is currently installed/configured almost nothing works properly!

40 terabytes? Wow, what are you storing that on now? Are you sure it is 40 terabytes?

I think it is worth getting to grips with tagging and for that I like mp3tag. Itā€™s fast and reliable. There are lots of tags that I ignore. I keep my recordings in folders one per artist subdivided into albums. For classical I treat composer as artist and when there are multiple composers I will identify these separated by commas.

Yes, 4 NAS WD drives 12TB each

1 Like

No, I am not running asset, just using the Naim app.
Just want to put some order in my files on my 4 NAS servers

I just noticed the confusion myself as @Tesilk is not the OP in the thread, @Thruster04 is so we have two different discussions going on.
Either way, for Asset (or any other UPnP server) to work properly good tags are essential and on Windows mp3tag is very good for examining and editing tags. Screenshot below is for an album on my NAS. Things to look out for; all files in the right hand side are selected so the pane on the left shows attributes common to all files and Album and Artist are consistent. Ones showing <keep> are different for each file and as they are title and track number that is to be expected. Track numbers are all filled in properly so tracks will play in the right order rather than alphabetical. If you have <keep> in Album, Artist or Album Artist on the left that is a problem as the UPnP server will see them as different albums or artists so wonā€™t play in the way you would expect.

I think you may have a problem with the folder sctructure.

Instead of a folder name with the artists name and album, change the the folder name to Adam Nitti, in this folder create a folder named Evidence, place the tracks in this folder. By default, when rippimg a CD with DP an artist folder is created, within this folder an folder having the album name is created.

Naming setting by default in DP (Save in Dynamic Artist Folder)

Iā€™ve been using DP to rip for 10 years streaming with Asset and MS without a problem. Never looked at a tag let alone modified one.

Also, donā€™t think the name of the music file should include the album title.

UPnP servers donā€™t care about file names or folder structures, all they care about is metadata. File names and folder structures make it easier to grasp for us humans

5 Likes

Exactly. The User Guide for MinimServer, written by the developer, Simon Nash, gives a clear, if technical, description of how the server software goes about its business. I realise this is an Asset thread, but I think itā€™ may be worth reading just to get an understanding of how a UPnP server uses metadata.

Roger

Not in my book, Asset in the title is erroneous.
It should be titled something like UPnP Server Metadata

1 Like

Except that some servers including Minimserver allow you to choose between tag view and folder view, so they are clearly able to do either. Why anyone would actually want to use folder view is another matter, but the option is there.

1 Like

Hmm - I use folder view. I know where things are, and I find it hard to categorise music into groups or tags. Music is more fluid than categories allow for.

Iā€™m not sure I understand. You can assign and search by any category you like by using tags, or ignore any that donā€™t work for you. Genre, composer, soloist, orchestra, etc etc. Surely thatā€™s more ā€˜fluidā€™ that a folder structure?

Genre, for instance, is too rigid, IMV. Is it folk, rock, folk/rock, progressive, punk etc? A lot of music doesnā€™t fit into one genre, or I would not agree with the genre assigned. As for other things - for non-classical I have the music in folders for the band or performers, with CDs/LPs as subfolders. And I have a bunch of individual tracks in the root folder, if I donā€™t feel the need to put them anywhere else. Often I am not listening to a particular genre or group (or orchestra or whatever), Iā€™m just listening to tracks (or albums) that I want to listen to at the time - and I know where they are. Occasionally I will use the search feature to look for a particular track or group.
I used to have discussions with librarians, particularly cataloguers, when I worked for Geac Computers (who developed library automation systems). They, of course, used the Dewey Decimal system to catalogue and arrange the books. The problem is that books often donā€™t fit into a category. ā€œThe history of the Chemical Industry and its effects on cultureā€ (a made-up title) for instance; where would you but that? Chemistry? History? Culture? I argued that with computerised libraries you donā€™t really need to categorise books - though keywording is very useful. When I am looking for a book, there are only two categories - 1) books that I am looking for, and 2) the rest. That was fun - they got very upset.

Crikey! I just want the album track sequence to be correct!!!

On a few albums, that is true.