Asset UPnP

Here’s a screen shot from my music library in Windows 10. Doesnt work with UPnP

Hi again Thruster, with all the screenshots you are showing, none are showing metadata.
It might be useful if you got Mp3tag, its an open source metadata editor, search www for Mp3tag
As a metadata checking & editing tool its invaluable, it does so much, I have yet to find out its full potential.

Screenshots below.
The 1st pic shows in left side box the metadata (tags) that apply to the individually highlighted track #3.
The 2nd pic is the same track but with the right side box extended to the far right

Well yes that’s true and Asset can do folder view as well but like you say why would you bother?

If you’ve now got mp3tag for windows right click file in list and choose extended tags. Some downloaded files, or those purchased online, can have some very weird things in those tags which might need removed (album artist, track artist, bad format track and discnumber/disctotal spelt disk etc. or is it v.v. can’t recall lol)

Had similar problem recently where windows and mp3tag main view were looking fantastic but in the naim app the artist was all screwy. Turned out to be info embedded in extended tags which Asset picks up and uses.

I have installed mp3tag but I am not seeing any strange data in extended tags. I have checked dozens of files.

Can you post a screenshot from mp3tag of one of the albums you’re having issues with? Preferably with all the files selected in the right hand pane. And to make it easier for us to see, don’t take a photo, use the Windows Snip & Sketch app to take a shot of the mp3tag window, save as a file and upload that file

I’m going to leave off for a while because this is totally pecking my head!

mp3tag for Rumours, Fleetwood Mac shows everything to be fine but there is no album artwork. Asset sees Rumours as 10 albums with artwork from several different albums.

Each time I rescan my music library the results are massively different and in so many different ways.

When I’ve recovered I will contact Asset and see if they can shed any light. Meanwhile thank goodness for Spotify ,

We still can’t see the left hand pane with all the files for a particular album selected in that photo, it would make things much easier with a screenshot. Track number field isn’t visible either. Looking at the file names and file type, are they in an iTunes library? If they are I don’t think Asset can really make sense of an iTunes library but happy to be corrected if my understanding is wrong.
As for album art, you’ll see it in mp3tag if the art is embedded in the music file. UPnP servers will typically show art if it is embedded in the music file or if there is a file called cover.jpg or folder.jpg in the same folder as the music files

Using mp3tag you select just the album you wish to check/edit - i.e. you select all the album tracks. You can then use the metadata from Musicbrainz or an alternative and all should be done in seconds.
Each of my albums is in a folder so this makes it easy for me to select all tracks and then I can amend for example the album’s title in one single change.
I’ve only had to mess around with rare albums, pretty much everything else has be spot on from dBPoweramp.

By the way, on Windows you can make screenshots like this:

Thruster, your photo of your 'poota screen with Fleetwood Mac ‘Rumours’ shows the metadata is really messed up,
The Filename column looks a bit puzzling, the rest of the information is not included in the scan of the photo. And most important is you don’t show the left side box that includes the album metadata tags.

This is how my Rumours looks. Its an untouched (not edited) dBpoweramp CD rip

Agreed, I guessed iTunes, a place I don’t go.

1 Like

Would you be up to using Microsoft Remote Assistance to allow someone to access your PC to help diagnose the issue? I’m familiar with iTunes, dbPoweramp, Asset, mp3tag etc so may be able to help; never used Remote Assistance before, but it’s Microsoft so how hard can it be (I’m joking of course).

I understand the security and trust implications so won’t be offended if you turn me down flat, but the offer is there if you think it would help (no promises though). I’m UK based (South Lincs) but can’t think of a way to establish bonafides right now but open to discuss

Microsoft remote assistance (now called Quick Assist) is built into win10 and win11 by default. In the start area just type “quick assist” and the built in app will be presented as an option. It is really easy to use and is for one session only per use. The assistee does need to have a Microsoft account. A quick search of www gives plenty of info on its use.

Sorry, I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I have used the remote assistance many times at work, just never had the need to try it out in a domestic environment (with all sorts of different firewall rules etc)

1 Like

Asset is the best application for tagging,transcoding to wav or what ever you wish through Dpoweramp…but in terms of sound I prefer Twonky

No offence taken by myself, assumed it was a genuine offer to the OP. Was just trying to add a bit more info regarding Microsoft’s remote assistance tools for use in a more domestic-like environment. I have used Quick Assist myself to help members of the family with IT niggles, didn’t have any issues with firewalls, port forwarding etc. Agree different tools are more appropriate in a corporate environment.

The offer was (is) genuine, I was making a weak joke about Remote Assistance (misguided as it turns out)

Hi elverdiblanco. Using Mp3tag I can see details EXACTLY as your example. Every field completed and showing correctly. UPnP plays alphabetically. As an experiment I modified the Track names in the Title field. I added an “a” in front of track 1, a “b” in front of track 2 etc. UPnP now plays in the correct order. Clearly it is looking at Title and not Track when playing the album. This particular album has no Itunes connection, it was ripped from the CD to FLAC using Dbpoweramp. This happens both with Asset and the UPnP server in Windows 10.

OK if you’re absolutely sure about that then I can think of two possible causes; either this is a bug in the Windows version of Asset, or you have options incorrectly set. For reference here are my settings on my QNAP NAS where I have Asset running

If your settings are the same as those and it still doesn’t work correctly a bug in the Windows version of Asset is the most likely cause I would guess, but I’d also assume that such a fundamental bug wouldn’t remain unfixed for long. It would also be good to see a screenshot from mp3tag so we can all be sure you’re looking at the right things.