Asus mesh and Naim Muso

If your virgin hub is running in standard mode then go into the asus settings and turn it in to an AP or Acess Point. Its years since I used one but there was I think router mode/bridge mode/AP mode.

In AP it will simply get it IP upstream to the virgin (it is connected to the virgin via ethernet yes?)

Then when devices connect to the AP the virgin will assign its address. to avoid confusion you could switch off the wifi in the virgin hub.

It is then assumed that the MUSO is connected to the ASUS AP. or physically to the Asus or Virgin hub by ethernet.

Your ASUS should be connected to the virgin via one of its 4 ethernet sockets NOT the WAN socket.

Your phone should connect to the ASUS AP.

1 Like

What is the local IP of your Virgin hub?
What is the local IP of your Asus router?
Is DHCP set on the Asus router?
Is your Muso connected to the Asus router?
Is your Ipad connected to the Asus router too?

Are you using the Ipad for the Naim app?
Can you play Internet radio OK on the MuSo?

The ring devices may create a different/new problem.
What are the ring devices connected to (Asus or Virgin)?
Are ring events expected on the Ipad?
The solution from @garyi may be your way out.

I think I follow you but the reason I use asus routers is because I have a vpn installed and I have also ruled this out being the problem so correct me if I am wrong but would putting my asus in ap mode mean I wouldn’t be able to use a vpn also some devices need the asus to be Wi-Fi to extend the network to other areas thanksq

Hi yes pretty sure dhcp is set on asus I can only connect Muso through virgin hub my iPad and most other devices are connected to asus I use iPhone and iPad Naim app not sure about ip addresses but as stated use vpn on asus and have tried switching that off

In which case you want the asus as the routing and put the virgin in modem only mode, you really cannot have it both ways as you have two things routing the same network, bad.

How is your muso connected to the network, what IP does it have?

What IP does what ever you are trying to connect to the MUSO have?

Are they in the same subnet?

Why can you not connect MuSo to Asus router?
Is that your problem?
Can you connect it by ethernet cable (maybe as a test) or better permanent?

Yes I am frustrated after trying seemingly everything that the muso does not connect to asus router(s) thanks

To be honest I can not get the muso connected to the asus network that my other devices are on only the virgin hub where it works perfect so have not looked at the ip as I would imagine they are different thanks

Well yes the IPs want to be different but on the same subnet.

Really your problem appears to be those ASUs bits if other devices also struggle on them. I use unifi perhaps look at a dream machine and one additional access point I can see my v1 uniti no issues

I agree but it is only the naim and some of my ring devices like my spotlight camthat are having problems all other devices including ring doorbell work perfect and it is disappointing from one of the best router manufacturers in the business which I did not expect.

I do not think it is the Asus router but the network configuration and the way you are connecting. Your Ring devices created a late curved ball.

As it appears the AP solution of @garyi will not support your VPN the alternative option is to attach everything to the Asus router including the Ring devices and by configuring the Asus as a sub-router/sub-net.

Switch off the wireless on the Virgin hub.
Enable router mode on the Virgin hub.
You can leave the DHCP enabled (the Asus DHCP wil be on a different network).
Ensure the Asus is connected to the Virgin hub (and also the wired TIVO box and the Phone too).
(That is the same as what I have plus I have a Hive box).
You should never see the Virgin wireless (note Virgin have been known to switch it back on!).

Configure the LAN page on the Asus router and set the IP address on the LAN page to say 192.168.20.1
Check the DHCP on Asus router is on.

Connect all your devices to the Asus router.
Connect the MuSo wired by cable if you can (the wireless on MuSo 1st gen was flakey).

You should reboot the Virgin hub and Asus router, and restart all the other devices to ensure they are connecting to your new configuration.

EVERYTHING is then using the Asus router except the Tivo box and Phone which are hard-wired into the Virgin hub as above. Your devices will have a 192.168.20.xxx address.

1 Like

Thanks but unfortunately it has not worked naim still will not connect saying unexpected error has occurred and also the TiVo box will not work either saying it is connected to the wrong network.

When the hub is in modem only mode it can only have one ethernet connected to it everything else connects to the asus.

Yes. That should not happen if the Virgin hub is in router mode as I suggested.

Is the Tivo box connected by the supplied ethernet cable to the Virgin box (or not) and the hub in router mode?
If not by cable you need to connect to Asus router.
You may need to re-configure it via setup. Also did you restart it?
You no longer have a Virgin wi-fi network.

Have you re-configured the Asus router on the LAN page and DHCP page as suggested?

Can you send screenshot of the Virgin hub and Asus LAN page.

I can confirm the only Ethernet cable in the virgin hub is the one going to the Asus thanks

So you need to re-configure the Tivo setup to connect to the Asus router as you no longer have a Virgin wi-fi.
I have a remote 2nd Tivo box connected via Asus wi-fi so it works fine.

The TiVo box was not connected with Ethernet I did configure asus lan though and tried switching off and on TiVo box

You need to re-configure the Tivo box to the Asus LAN SSID/password and successfully connect the device (not just switch it off and on). The same with all other devices.

Sorry I think that picture of lan settings was the original address so I could change it back if didn’t work which I have done for the moment I did change the lan to the one you suggested could you please tell me how I configure devices for new lan although this sounds like too much condlsidering the amount of devices I have on the network thanks