At this point which upgrade, if any?

Sorry, no idea!

I started with NAPSC on the floor as advised on here.
Mine now lives on the bottom shelf of Fraim. I couldnā€™t hear any difference.

Best.

Popeye

1 Like

Thank you!
So better NAPSC 2 in the bottom shelf and NAP in the upper shelf?

David

ā€˜ā€¦if any ?ā€™

Asking people on this forum whether you should upgrade or not is like asking a 5 year old if they like chocolateā€¦ :grin:

6 Likes

I think you need a bit of trial and error here. As I mentioned above, I would be more concerned about the TT2 and its PSU than the NAPSC. Whether or not any of this actually makes an audible difference in your system, you will never know unless you try.

1 Like

What do you mean exactly? Should I put the PSU as far as possible from the TT2 and the rest of the system?

David

Chord point out in their literature that their DACs can emit RFI, and that they should be kept away from items that use toroidal transformers, which includes Naim amps. This means the actual DAC, as well as its power supply.
There are, of course, lots of us quite happily using Chord DACs in Naim systems, so Iā€™m not suggesting that you need to lose too much sleep over it. Just something to be aware of when thinking about how best to set up your system.

1 Like

Anybody else?
Maybe could @Richard.Dane give me some suggestions or show me a link useful in this regard?

Thank you
David

David, your proposal to move the amp a shelf and the PSUs to the bottom shelf seems fine to me. However, you may even prefer moving it up to the second shelf and the DAC down a shelf. I find that maximising separation between digital kit from the pre-amp can be advantageous. Worth trying anyway.

As for the power block connections itā€™s harder for me to give a definitive answer as so many variables with the different makes of kit. Best is to try a few ways and see whether it makes any appreciable difference. If so, keep going until you settle on an order that seems optimal. If not, donā€™t worry about it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick response, Richard!

A quick update:
I purchased a Napsc2 and for ten days everything is more precise and clean to me.
In the meantime I was able to test the Chord epic X 2x3.5 meters against my NACA5, before and after the arrival of napsc2, and I found the Chord maybe more hifi but with more resolution and precision/focusā€¦
now I come to the point: in my place, if I decide to replace the speaker cables, you follow the wiring philosophy of the same brand and model (in my case, All Chord Epic X except for the snaic between nac and nap) or keep on doing other tests of various models of power cables (tellurium etc ā€¦)?

Thank you for any suggestion
David

This one always baffles me. To listen to some posters youā€™d think that cables are sentient and can identify the presence of others from the same manufacturer in the same system. Concepts like ā€˜full loomā€™ say more about the poster than realityā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks @Svetty , so do do you suggest to test and listen to other speaker cables to see which will be the best for my taste?

It really is up to you. There are lots of cables out there and you canā€™t try them all. I use Tellurium Black II speaker cable and it seems to work well and may be worth a try. Alternatively just decide which you prefer between the Naim and Chord. Both are good.

I rather like the full loom concept and have TQB interconnects on my NDX2 and NAT05. When I had Super Lumina there seemed to be a synergy between the interconnects and the speaker leads so I thought Iā€™d do the same with the TQ. If having all Chord Epic feels right to you, thatā€™s reason enough to go with that. You need to feel contented with your system if you want to enjoy your music.

2 Likes

As HH says, there are potentially many options and you could drive yourself mad trying to determine which is ā€˜betterā€™ to your ears. Iā€™ve always found NACA 5 to be a good compromise between price and sound. Other cables can sound different but not obviously better.

I just donā€™t think that there is much logic in saying that just because - say - a particular interconnect from a given manufacturer works well in your system, there is a greater likelihood that that brand of speaker cable is going to work better than any other. Physics just doesnā€™t work like thatā€¦

1 Like

do you think maximising separation more between dac from pre-amp than cd-transport from the pre-amp, Richard?

Thanks
David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.