ATC speakers order wait time

I don’t experience any of these traits with the SN2 and SCM40s. I listen at moderate levels most of the time (8-9) in a room about 4x4,5m. That said I’m sure the speakers would respond well to an even better poweramplifier, like a NAP250. But this should be true for most speakers I guess! Probably most when it comes to low volume listening, as it seems to be a common description of general improvements for many systems/speakers when upgrading in that area.

I’m planing to listen to the SCM40s at my dealer with some other Naim pre and poweramplifiers in the near future. Maybe I’m in for a revelation/shock… :blush: But as said, I don’t feel like there is a problem with the SN2 now.

1 Like

You will like the scm 40s they are very revealing so don’t take poor quality recordings with you :thinking:

It’s not like passive 40 would be bad with SN2. It’s just better as active or even when adding HCDR to the mix. For me the bare SN2 wasn’t enough but I had got used to the sound with extra PSU. Remember that I upgraded from PMC 20.23 to passive 40 while both were driven by SN2 + HCDR and loved this combo for five years before taking the active route.

2 Likes

Useful thoughts from all, thank you. Active would be overkill for the current property, but I’ll certain demo SCM40s on SN3 with and without an additional PSU.

Happy days……replacement ATC SCM40A delivered last Thursday….all good so far :blush:

Now, if Naim would just…………

5 Likes

nice, I’ve always loved cherry, but these look so good in black. Are they the paint or veneered ones?

Mario.

Lovely speakers there NoNaim

Thank you. Mine are the satin black finish. I have had the cherry finish before, when I owned the SCM40 passive version. The cherry is a nice finish, but is susceptible to fading and bleaching , if the speakers are subjected to long periods of sunlight.

Thank you. There is something about ATC speakers. As stated, I originally had the passive version, but went to PMC. Krell S300i could not drive them and with ATC electronics, too much bass for room. Have used PMC 25 23 and 25 26 in the meantime, which I really did like. However, there is something about that ATC sound which haunts you. I have found no other speaker manufacturer that produces music, that sounds as close to hearing music live. This is probably due to ATC’s pedigree in the professional music industry.

1 Like

When I was last at my dealer, I thought I saw some walnut SCM19s. But I could have been mistaken. They looked good though.

Are you sure they were 19’s and not 20’s?

That’s odd, cherry darkens on exposure to sunlight. Perhaps it was been treated with something to bleach it.

I have the 7s. They were a couple of sizes up so that makes them 19s. They might have been a special order… if ATC even do such things.

I know what you mean and is usually the case. I have since cured the problem……the blinds stay shut now :ok_hand:

1 Like

Funnily, just looking at some SCM50A walnut finish at dealers, yesterday …… drool

1 Like

Beautiful! I had 40A in satin black just like my 50’s now. Passive 40’s I had in black ash. I was 50/50 with going satin or black ash for the 50’s. I eventually picked black ash but my dealer accidentally ordered them in satin. They looked good so I decided to keep them. Also I didn’t feel like waiting another 15 weeks.

Remember to try spiking them to floor through the carpet. With 50’s I have experimented with heavy granite slabs under the speakers and liked what I heard so they stayed there.

1 Like

If I had a choice between the black ash or satin black finish, then satin black would win everyday. So I think you got the better finish, if by default.:blush:
When I have them broke in and positioned, then they will sit on granite chopping blocks. Thinking about using IsoAcoustics Gaia feet. I have had 40 passive on spiked feet before and Gaia’s on PMC 25 26, except using the Gaia feet for carpets. So, will think which wat to go while running in.

2 Likes

I have my SCM40s on Gaia feet. Never heard them without in my room, so hard to say what differance they make. But I’m confident they do no harm :blush:

Thank you for letting me know that there is someone out there, that uses the IsoAcoustics Gaia’s with the ATC SCM40’s. :blush:

I had GAIA II under my 40A and they worked well. I moved the same pair of GAIA II under 50ASL but in the end I felt like the sound lacked some punch. I removed tha GAIAs and got better results with regular spikes and spikeshoes and in the end added the granite slabs. It might be that 50’s were too close to GAIA II weight limit and they didn’t work properly with them.