ATC speakers order wait time

Did you try the 40’s with spikes, shoes and slabs? If so, I presume the Gaia’s were a improvement on those.

I only got the granite slabs later for 50’s. But I did use 40A originally with stock spikes and some spikeshoes. It works great that way also.

Naim skeets work well on my hardwood floor.

The SCM40As are really heavy and not that easy to manoeuvre and I found it hard to fit smaller floor protectors such as Naim chips accurately under the spikes to protect my parquet floor. And that was working with the dealer, whilst setting them up for home audition. For my own pair of speakers I ordered sets of the larger Quadraspire QX7s and found them a good deal easier to manage. They’re supposed to improve the sound, but I haven’t done a comparison, so can’t comment on that.

Roger

Thank you for the guys. If I had my choice I would put them on Townshend Seismic Podiums. However, I know the 40 passives were heavy enough for myself, so the actives are out the question, unless I plan a visit to A&E. The speakers will be sitting on carpet, but I think I will use the granite slabs. So it will be a choice between the spikes and Gaia’s, as I need to level speakers as well.

I have my 40’s on Chord Silent Mounts , I bought them when I had PMC 20/23’s around 5 years ago . They worked surprisingly well then as I had a floating floor covered with laminate back then . Since then that floor has been filled in to accommodate underfloor heating a covered with Solid Oak so its much more solid but at no point have I thought about an alternative .

I don’t think the Gaia were available then but that’s where I’d be looking now most likely .

I know that trying to move into position ATC 40 speakers, with spikes on carpet, is a most strenuous task by myself. The trade off with the granite and Gaia’s, is the height increase of the speakers, which can effect the SQ at the listeners position. I guess, damned if I do and damned if I do not. :blush:

Remember that ATC three way speakers should be positioned so that the midrange driver is at ear level or even slightly higher. So little extra height isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

1 Like

Ime, SN2 is perfectly capable of driving passive 40’s at low, medium and for prolonged periods at high levels. SN2 also does a better job at driving loudspeakers than some higher powered amplification which I’ve used with used over the years.

1 Like

Thank you. Will have to see, what the granite slabs and Gaia’s do to the SCM40A acoustic axis. I know with the PMC 25 26, the height increase had a noticeable detrimental effect on SQ.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.