Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Yes, exactly. Store it in a cool dark place and it should be fine for quite some time.

Perfect, thanks

How much you getting Graham, could we go halves or something?

I’ve not decided, but it makes sense to go halves.

I’ve just played around with a few options and shipping costs, as expected the more you order the cheaper per bottle it is. Water is heavy so shipping increases but it doesn’t double for twice the volume.

A pack of 4 x 5L or even two packs of 4 x 5L might be the way to go. Let’s chat on Whatsapp

I just use distilled water I get for $1/gal from the grocery store. FWIW: Audio Desk specifically say not to use reagent-grade purified water.

Ok will do :+1:

degritter

I have been considering one of these cleaners for some time. I like the idea of the disk not being placed on a turntable and then being turned over to clean the other which must introduce the chance of more muck being transferred. Another factor is its not too noisy either.
Its not cheap but if you go for a cheaper RCM and its a hassle to use then thats self defeating. I am lucky to have a top spec LP12 so worthwhile for me.
Had a demo at my local dealer and suitably impressed. I liked its small size, relative silence, ease of use, the principle it works on and even comes in different colours. On my shopping list for an early Christmas present.
Douglas.

2 Likes

I totally agree that not placing a clean side onto a “dirty” record cleaner platter is an advantage with the Audio Desk.
Perhaps I’m being too anal but some people report even better results using a rince with distilled water and vacuum step on a Loricraft or similar after the ultrasonic clean. Easy enough to try…

It’s something that rules out any LP cleaner in my book. Note that it’s not just the Audio Desk with this advantage - the rather good Pro-Ject RCM does not have a platter as such (just supported across the label area) and cleans brilliantly - all for well under £400.

1 Like

You can just use an extra mat for this purpose. This is often made out to be a much bigger issue than it actually is.

On the other, with any bath type machine you are reusing dirty water to clean a record. Sure, it has a filtration mechanism, but if that was perfect you would never have to replace the fluid.

I used an Okki Nokki for years before I got my Audio Desk. It has a rubber mat and I never had any issues. When I emptied the water out of the vacuum tank I also cleaned the mat. No big deal.

2 Likes

I have a VPI. I put a thin circular plastic sheet under the record when I clean the first side. When I flip the record I remove the sheet so that the newly cleaned side only ever touches the pristine cork surface of the platter. This makes the contamination thing a non-issue.

I agree with the earlier comment that if a cleaner is a hassle to use then it’s self defeating. After much trial and error I’ve developed a method that gets excellent results, but it takes 10 minutes per record, and so I only ever clean LPs that are both dirty and either valuable, rare, or otherwise important. I’ve cleaned only about 300 records in the last 15 years, less than a tenth of my collection.

I love the idea of the Audio Desk, however, I’ve tried it and am not wowed by the results. Given the near-unanimous approval it enjoys, I wonder if something was wrong with my test. I’ll certainly give it another shot should the opportunity arise.

I’ve been watching lots of videos about ultrasonic/cavitation record cleaners and have learnt a few things.

During a panel discussion at the recent Rocky Mountain Show hosted by Michael Fremer, Michael mentioned that Klaudio have stopped production of their cleaner because they were too expensive to manufacture.

Kirmuss Audio are a recent entrant into the world of ultrasonic cleaners. They seem very passionate about record restoration not just record cleaning. Their process is multiple 5 minute runs through the cleaner which removes previous cleaning products and release agents. Records that have previously been through the Audio Desk are improved even more. Their machine is less than half the price of the Audio Desk.

Distilled water is so much more expensive in the UK than the US. This makes running the Kirmuss machine more expensive because it needs 6L of distilled water and should be refilled after 15-20 records.

The Kirmuss looks a really interesting system, albeit more time consuming than the Audio Desk to do a full restoration. But the restoration should only need to be done once, with a quick 5 min clean every few years.

I think I would only want to use a Kirmuss for records that are problematic and candidates for “restoration.” The process is just too involved and time consuming for everyday record cleaning, which for me is mostly new records, since all the records in my collection (3500+) have been cleaned previously.

I have some candidates for restoration, but don’t know that I want to spring for the $800 it the Kirmuss costs. A Kirmuss rep is trying to get my dealer interested in the product. Maybe if they pick it up, I can try it out sometime.

I get distilled (demineralized) water at my local grocery stores for about $1/gal. I don’t bother with lab grade water, and Audio Desk says not to use it, due to added risk for rust. Reagant grade water is overkill, IMO. I used it for a while with my Okki Nokki and it made no difference.

Kirmuss’s assertion is that records previously cleaned in vacuum or ultrasonic cleaners have layers of cleaning products on top of the mould release agent, and this is what his restoration system removes leaving the “naked” vinyl. The process is time consuming. It would be really interesting to have the opportunity to listen to a before and after example.

After reading the user guide my biggest issue with the Kirmuss cleaning is that the water should be thrown away every day, and used for a maximum of 15 records. It’s not clear if demineralised water is ok as the documentation and videos only mention distilled water. In the UK it seems that distilled water is very expensive, but demineralised water is much cheaper. The water costs will be really high if the instructions are followe to the letter.

Have any of you with an Audio Desk heard any issues of high frequencies being rolled off after cleaning? I’ve read some comments online, possibly from neigh-sayers.
I’ve done so much research this weekend my head is hurting :slight_smile:
It seems difficult to find a high street dealer to be able to discuss and get a demo.

There was a claim by someone from VPI – IIRC – and was retracted later. There is no evidence this is true.

There is a thread about US cleaners on Steve Hoffman forums, and I think that HF claim is addressed (i.e. debunked)

1 Like

Nope.

No. Definitely not.