Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner Pro

No.

I attended a Kirmuss demo at Bristol HiFi show. If certainly made my mind up, it was not for me. I did my best to ignore the sales patter as I had no interest with hearing about Michael Fremer, who ever he is. I was far more interested in seeing if I would be able to clean records with it easily. My conclusion was no, unless I wanted to dedicate my remaining years to the task. The automation provided by the Audio Desk is worth the extra.

I currently use a Hannl, which although excellent, is not as easy to use as Iā€™d like.

1 Like

The importer is Audioconsultants at Caleva Park, an industrial estate near Aldermaston. I had a demo there a few years ago.

I tried the Audio Desk several years ago at my local Linn dealer. I gave them a couple of LPs, which they cleaned while my LP12 was being serviced. After I clean records on my VPI they nearly always sound different, to varying degrees. Noise is typically reduced (occasionally eliminated), and thereā€™s usually a freshness to the sound, recalling that hi-fi clichĆ© of cleaning a window you thought was already quite clean. The change is almost always an improvement, often dramatically so.

The result with the Audio Desk was different. The sound was smoother, and possibly more detailed, but it was also a little dull, and left me feeling underwhelmed. I can understand why some might describe the result as high frequency rolloff, although I have a hard time believing that the machine is responsible for that. Maybe there was some flaw in the process (dirty water, dirty brushes, etc.), or perhaps I was just unlucky, with a sample size of two records (Iā€™ve cleaned a few hundred on my VPI, and am confident of my findings with that).

Anyway, that brief test cooled my interest in the Audio Desk, although I remain hopeful that thereā€™s a combination of machine and technique that gets the results Iā€™m used to (or better) with much less fuss.

Decision made, Audio Desk order placedā€¦

4 Likes

Might not be useful at this stage, but there used to be quality issues. Mine didnā€™t dry the LP properly, so I sent it back for repair. It came back in decent working condition. I do use it and it cleans very well. My brotherā€™s never worked well and he stopped using it. Expensive piece of (ugly) decor ā€¦

Mine (a 2017 model) didnā€™t either, but I was offered a brand new 2019 unit for an upcharge on a warranty replacement when the motor went out (other choice was refurbished unit free). Anyway, since getting the new unit I have cleaned 200+ records and they have all come out bone dry. The new one works so much better than the old one, and itā€™s quieter too.

A question for you folks with AD cleaners: do you rinse/clean the machine after emptying the used water before refilling with clean water?
I assume it is necessary to try and rinse the cleaner as best as possible to avoid problems of contamination and mould growth.Because of the design it is impossible to properly clean and dry the insides so I assume the best we can do is thoroughly rinse it. If you do rise what do you use? Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s ok to remove the foam filter and brushes then do several rises with tap water. Perhaps a final quick swoosh round with a bit of distilled water to remove the tap water residue as best as possible.
Can you share if and how you clean between refills?
I can see it would be so easy to get very anal about this and this this is kit in a clean laboratory environment :slight_smile:
Thanks

I donā€™t do anything. I empty the tank, swishing it around as it empties (as per instructions), and fill with new distilled water and cleaning fluid (and clean/rinse the rollers and filter with distilled water). I do that about every 150 cleaning cycles. I suppose I use it often enough not to worry about it. I change the filter, rollers and blades after about 600-750 cleaning cycles.

1 Like

I basically do the same.

Thanks guys. Iā€™m wary of mould build up over time because itā€™s very difficult to properly clean the insides. An advantage of a simple ā€œopenā€ design of the Kirmuss system.

Perhaps this is not a problem after all. Back to the musicā€¦ :slight_smile:

I suppose if it really bothers you, you could use a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar to eliminate any mold you think might be in the system. That is what I use on my Okki Nokki as a first step fluid if I consider suspect a used record with musky odor.

If I were to do that with my Audio Desk, I would probably flush it with several gallons of water before refreshing the cleaning fluid and distilled water. But I would only do that as a last resort (suspicion of mold from visible evidence or a musky odor). I really donā€™t think there should be any problem, unless you leave standing water in it for long periods of time without use.

Before buying the Audio Desk unit, did anyone consider the Kirmuss Audio ā€œRecord Restoration Systemā€? Looks like an interesting approach, but my goodness what a lengthy process. He was interviewed and performed a demo on Micheal Fremerā€™s Youtube channel (Analog Planet).

I saw the Kirmuss at a show last year and was interested. In the end I was put off by the white gunge that Kirmuss brings out. They see it as deep cleaning, I struggle to work out what it can be and am worried that it might be extracting something from the vinyl. So Iā€™m currently torn between an Audio Desk (small foootprint, convenience) and a Project (price).

Yes, that white stuff that comes out during the brushing process is quite surprising, but I do wonder how much of that was down to the brush action in association with the liquid surfactant causing the liquid to foam up.

I would not consider a Kirmuss instead of an Audio Desk, but in addition to one for restoration purpose (i.e. of particularly bad records that the Audio Desk cannot deep clean). Right now I have an Okki Nokki with a 4-step process I use for that, but it has limited success. My dealer has been talking to a Kirmuss rep about getting one in to try.

2 Likes

Interesting, would you be willing to please expand on your 4-step process with the Okki Nokki? Intrigued.

Iā€™m slowly going through the record collection and using my Okki Nokki (owned a few months), and some albums have responded very well and have been transformed, removing click & pops entirely. But I have about ten recalcitrant vintage LPs that have barely improved, even though they look ā€˜as newā€™ post clean, so Iā€™m assuming that an ultrasonic device would be only solution.

Question:
How do you clean/drain the water inside?

If a record is soiled heavily, the water need to be changed every time ?

AD recommend changing the water and adding a new bottle of cleaning fluid every 100 records. I believe some do this more often and others less often. There is a drain plug on the back.
My plan is to clean second hand records on the Loricraft before a 5 min clean in the AD.
Trying to keep the water in the AD as clean as possible seems a sensible strategy. Iā€™m only a few days into owning the AD so Iā€™m still working out the best planā€¦

1 Like

It makes sense if you just wash brand new records but those with heavily soild 2nd hand disc, you do not want to use a contaminated water.

I could see using both. Clean dirty records with vacuum type and then, use an ultrasonic type cleaner.