Audioquest Niagara

Hi I see you have niagara 3000 what is it like did it make a difference.

Hi , Iā€™ve written plenty earlier in the thread but yes I like it very much . A bit like putting a nice Power supply on everything, I tried very briefly without ( just active speakers into wall , source still connected) it and there was a significant drop off. Iā€™d go as far as saying itā€™s probably the best value upgrade / product Iā€™ve bought in a long time . It all depends on how many high current outlets you need , 2 works perfect for me .

Great thanks for reply I have the 300dr so just 1 high currant will do Iā€™m not sure if supercap and xps are high currant as xps is on cd player and supercap with 252.

Good dealer advice would help you , definitely 300 and probably itā€™s PS into High current . Anything source related fine in the other sockets as once things are set they are set as they say .

Interesting - I am going to be trying one in the new year

What power cord did you use from wall to the 1200?

I use an AudioQuest Blizzard power cable to my 1200, and use NRG Z3ā€™s for the components. Very happy with the results.

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest a Shunyata Everest. with An Appropriate Shunyata PC. Or the Audio Quest Niagara 7000 with a Storm series PC. FWIW, on my more modest system I use the Shunyata Denali 6000S -V.2 with Shunyata Alpha EF, cord

Weā€™ll see :blush: have the 7000 on the list to maybe try. Havenā€™t come across any shunyata

No Shunyata dealers in your neck of the woods?

Opus: Iā€™m catching up with you, upgrading to Denali V2 from Delta 6. Canā€™t stretch for the Everest, although Iā€™ve heard itā€™s worth it. Agree on Shunyata, itā€™s the real deal.

Youā€™ll really be surprised! Seems like music has more solidity, coming out of a noiseless velvety black background, faster, but also even more relaxed when called for. Also when budget allows think about what PC to use from the wall. It doesnā€™t need to be an NR cable since the Denali does the work. I use the Alpha EF, the new one is the Alpha XC v.2 Shunyata recommends using XC series wall to unit and NR series from Denali to components.

No - nearest one 180 miles away

I was just wondering if thereā€™s anyone in the UK who has used or compared the Niagara units which come in both UK and US sockets. Say if the Niagara 3000 comes in US sockets, the power cord between the wall outlet and Niagara unit will come with a UK plug, while the power cords that connect all components connected to the Niagara 3000 will come in US terminated plugs.

Well, I have taken the time during the Christmas break to optimise my system, especially with regards to my Niagara 1200. I have been testing different combinations earlier this year and I have been happy with the results. However, it turned out there was room for improvement still.

Last week I realised that now I am using the Atom as a streamer and pre-amplifier only, it would be probably good to move it from a high current to a low current outlet on the Niagara, as these are more filtered. That change made the Atom sound tighter and more dynamic. It was a larger improvement than expected.

The Purifi EVAL1 power amplifier has been connected to a separate outlet as I found it sounding too dull when connected to the Niagara before. As I was changing the connections yesterday I figured ā€˜why not give it another tryā€™. So I connected the Purifi stereo power amplifier to a high current outlet on the Niagara. That gave a nice improvement on dynamics and soundstage (more open and 3D now), also the bass is tighter.

So the combination of both the Atom and the Purifi power amplifier connected to the Niagara works out really well with the Atom on a low current socket and the Purifi amp on a high current socket.

The following devices are now connected to the Niagara 1200:

1. High current: Purifi EVAL1 stereo power amplifier (self-built SMPS1200 based)
  2. High current: not used
  3. Low current: Naim Atom
  4. Low current: Cambridge Audio CXC cd transport
  5. Low current: not used
  6. Low current: tp-link network switch power supply
  7. Low current: Mac Mini

Power cables are from Art Speak (Dutch manufacturer). The system sounds better than ever. There is little room for improvement left given the limitations of our living room.

3 Likes

Thanks for your experience, @afgverhart

So, when you are not using the Atom with an additional amplifier should be put in into the High Current outlet of the Niagara, shouldnā€™t it? Low Current would only the way to go if its connected to an dedicated power amp, right? Thanks ā€¦

1 Like

Well, thank you!
I have a Star with a Meridian power amp plugged into a Niagara 1000. They were both plugged into the high output sockets. On your suggestion, I have plugged the Star into one of the ā€œnormalā€ sockets and I have the same experience as youā€¦ More depth, tighter control in all areas.
Great info!

1 Like

In my case that works best indeed.

@bilposter So glad it works better for you as well!

BR,
Richard

@bilposter. what experiences have you had with a power amplifier on the star? was a naim also selected?

Hi what do you think of the niagara 3000.?