Audioquest Niagara

Just an FYI, when I had my Niagara 1000 I used an Audioquest Hurricane PC made a big improvement over the NRG 4 I was using

Very interested in the results when you start using the 3000., @Pete.T

Noticed that you donā€™t have an all Naim system so hoping there are others who can share their experiences as well. I am definitely going to audition the 3000. Iver

1 Like

I sure will . Itā€™s only recently Iā€™ve not been all Naim so completely au fait with power conditioner concerns with their amps . I do feel that the Niagara would suit Naim and my dealer agreed from experience with the 5000 . You have a lovely system and my only concern with a 3000 for you would be the number of high current outlets but good dealer advice would clarify that , 2 may be fine .

1 Like

Well youā€™d hope so too :+1:

Hi @Pete.T,

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned " ā€¦ and my only concern with a 3000 for you would be the number of high current outlets ā€¦": I struggle understanding which of my components require the high current outlets. Looking into the documentation, it suggests to put Poweramps to them. In my case that would concretely mean: plugging in the 300 PowerSupply into a high-current and the other powersupplies (555Dr for streamer and SuperCap for Pre) would go in normal outlets. Am I correct here?

Iver

Has anyone tried one of the PS Audio DirectStream Power Plants

ā€“> https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-power-plant-20/

I know itā€™s slightly out of the subject, but the idea keeps being the same : clean power.

1 Like

That sounds right but definitely check , I was wondering on the current draw of the 555PS but as thatā€™s feeding the source itā€™ll surely be fine . I started here trying the 1200 on my Active speakers, I felt it best to try one component at a time . Iā€™d try the 3000 on your amps PS first .

I havenā€™t Thomas but I did enquire to my dealer a few years ago about PS Audio power plants and he said they are good but not with Naim .

1 Like

This is interesting. I thought Naim amps could benefit from that kind of power supplies (the big ones at least, like the P20).

Audio Quest Niagara and PS Audio DirectStream Power Plants are quite different.

The Niagara is a filter, limiting the amount of current available, especially during peaks, while the Power Plant P20 provides current up to 2000 VA and 3700VA at peaks.

1 Like

The Niagara is in their words a Noise dissipator not a filter , with non sacrificial surge protection . Regarding PS Audio I only know what my dealer told me , he sells Naim and PS Audio . To my ears using the Niagara 1200 with my ATC Actives at 240 watts each there is an increase in dynamics .

Paul from PS Audio about : clean power, power conditioners (like the Niagara) and power supplies (like the PS Audio Power Plant).

ā€“> https://youtu.be/FD_2RKpWkYw

2 Likes

Any views here on the Puritan PSM136 in comparison to the Audioquest stuff?

Iā€™m interested in this too.

I installed my Niagara 3000 today along with AQ Monsoon power cables . Thereā€™s a definite improvement over the excellent demo 1200 I returned which I would have bought had the 3000 not existed . Highly recommended after a month long demo of the 1200 and the obvious improvements from the 3000 .

6 Likes

Would you advise to use the Monsoon power cables with the Niagara 1200 or would you stick with the NRG-Z3? I am asking because there is quite some difference in price between the two. And I would need two: one from the wall socket to the 1200 and one from the 1200 to the Atom.

My advise and experience is buy and put the best one from wall to Niagara. Iā€™d even suggest getting a AQ Thunder and add more as funds allow.

A good power conditioner that reduces noise, hence lowering the noise floor and providing more clarity and detail, without compromising dynamics is a great way to go. Iā€™ve had great results with Isotek conditioners. The idea that conditioners donā€™t work with Naim is a bit obsolete these days, the technology has moved on. Just be sure to get a good one. The Niagara is well regarded.

3 Likes

The NRG Z3 will be perfect with the 1200 and that was what I would have chosen had I bought one . As mentioned above the cable from the wall socket makes the biggest difference so you could split the range ? When I decided on the 3000 my dealer who I trust advised Monsoon from the wall as a minimum. I actually ordered 1 Monsoon and 2 NRG Z3ā€™s to feed my Active speakers but a stock delay of the Z3 and a very good deal on the Monsoon changed the order .

Thank you Pete. Very useful input. I will check with my dealer if he can make a nice combi-deal.

1 Like

A power conditioner or power distribution box will be the next new product from naim in the near future, IN MY OPINION. Itā€™s hard to turn a blind eye to the demand and the need, letā€™s face it, there is a niche, people need to protect their equipment, and the top Power distribution blocks work for the best. There is an opportunity to grab a piece of the market, and naim has all the engineering close to complete it seems. Itā€™s an easy match.

Could you imagine a black box the same size as a 250 that has 6-8 sockets for all your boxes to pull current from.

Scott

3 Likes