Audioquest Vodka Ethernet full loom

With the recent ‘love-in’ for Vodka ethernet cables I thought I’d try a length from my switch to streamer. Luckily, my dealer was able to track down the shops demo pair and this has now been in the system for a few days.

I currently have BJC from my FTTP box to router and from router to switch. The final run from switch to streamer is a short length of CatSnake. I will admit that I struggled with the sound of CatSnake for a while - much preferring the Chord C-Stream cable supplied with the switch. That was until I reversed the direction I had been using the CatSnake as this opened things up considerably.

Okay, I was initially impressed with the AQ Vodka from the go, noting a lovely tonal quality in the mids and upper mids making plucked guitar sound utterly believable. A few more days use and I noticed that I was starting to miss a bit of bass weight - something that the CatSnake is very good at revealing. On direct comparison I also thought that the CatSnake was marginally better with vocals in a similar way that Superlumina deals with them.

At the moment I have to say that I still prefer the CatSnake for its tonal balance, which seems absolutely huge. I also love the way it deals with the atmospheric qualities of a recording. For me the Vodka doesn’t delve quite as deep in this area. Yes, the bass notes do start and stop on a pin but they sound a little bit sterile against the CatSnake’s version of events.

Let me finish by saying that none of these ethernet cables can be described by the words good or bad. They all have qualities that are individual and they are whatever you prefer. I still love Chords C-Stream for its musical exuberance, CatSnake for its shear voluptuous weight and Vodka for that startling mid-range openness.

It’s been an interesting exercise but I suspect I will be sticking with CatSnake for the moment.

3 Likes

Vodka cables need a very long burn in, at least 200 hours, to really open .
Perhaps should you wait before definitive impressions.

1 Like

Yes the Vodkas have a mid-range to die for, coupled with a lightning fast bass, a bit like Naim speakers really, and that’ll do for me.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.:sunglasses::+1:

I’m hoping that these demo leads have a shorter burn in. I’ve certainly noticed a change over a couple of days. I will leave them in for another 10 days or so before I have to hand them back. Let’s see how I view them with a few more hours on the clock?

Trouble is I’ve had some real magic moments with the Catsnake in situ and I’m loathed to throw a bucket of money at another cable only to lose this effect.

1 Like

First and foremost, trust your ears (and wallet), despite others otherworldly success, it has to work for you in your system, to your ears, to justify the investment.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading alot about ethernet cables on the forum and have changed out my Blue Jeans 5e cables for 6a from the router to the switch cisco 2960 and from the switch to the NDS. I bought 2. I have left the 5e BJC from the switch to the NAS.

Seems to be a slight improvement but not massive. Deeper bass and a clearer presentation. Early days yet. Worth the investment though.

I also wonder if the mind justifies the expense of ethernet cables.

The Audioquest Vodka are very pretty. Maybe I will try one one day between the switch and NDS.

I would rather save the money towards upgrading speakers, amps and sources.

1 Like

Just do it. I had a Vodka cable three years ago in a much lesser system and it was still better than all of the others i tried. Sadly i stuck it in a cupboard because i allowed myself to become convinced that i was initially ripped off. How wrong was i. Plugged it back in after becoming bored and ‘BANG’ that’s it, that’s where the fun was hiding all this time. I’ve now gone full loom, and there’s no going back for me now.

It’s like getting out of a modern day Lexus Saloon, that’s too scared in having any attitude, and jumping straight back into a tidy Ford Mexico, it was there all along, the likeable rogue. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have read with interest and you are an advert for Audioquest Vodka. You should contact them and get commission! I’ve got the Blue Jeans Cable just in and all good. What Vodka cable made biggest difference? Switch to NDX2?

1 Like

Yes - the other two kept on building what was already there. I was a sceptic at first as i thought that i would ‘over egg’ the pudding but that turned out not to be the case. Yes i know it’s a lot of money, but then again so are PowerLines, SuperLumina, Chord cables, this hobby etc…

1 Like

Next week: Stephen tries wireless again :grinning:

Only joking Stephen- glad it’s all worked out, including the sub :+1:

2 Likes

Yup. Vodka(s) and sub worked out really nice in the end. Thanks James. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, when new they sound rather flat with a rough high frequency range, almost digital sounding or should i say with a slightly tonally artificial top end. But all that smoothes off, opens up and becomes more analogue sounding with time. The bass too, deepens and tightens. They’re hard to fault when finally coming on song. Also they go great with the EE8Switch.

1 Like

Yeah, the Cinnamon was the worst of all the cables I tried and the reason I was fiddling with them to begin with. I was happy to move them on and thankfully didn’t make the same mistake with the Vodka.

1 Like

I’ve noticed another poster on another thread blaming their XPS DR for making their NDX 2/NAC252 sound rather bland - but i know from my own experiences where i think their problem really lays. I shall not be getting involved. LOL!

I was persuaded to let the Vodkas burn in for over a month. They did improve, but not enough - to my ears of course, in my system.

Well obviously an Ethernet cable is only a part of the whole story, it can only be as willing as the the source component itself.

Yes, I noted your comment earlier in this thread. I’d describe the sound I’m hearing as a little bit sterile. It has a very clean uncluttered sound, almost too simplified. Like it’s missing a deeper level of micro-dynamics when I compare it to well run in CatSnake. As I’ve said it’s very good at revealing the timbral elements of drums, guitars and cymbals etc but I just find myself able to hear deeper into the music with CatSnake. Strange, maybe further use is the answer but I’ve feel I’ve been able to quickly characterise pretty much all the ethernet cables I’ve tried so far, and whilst they’ve improved their general character has remained very much the same.

1 Like

I have found that the slight sterility, and it is only slight to begin with, slowly burns off with time and then amalgamates into a lushness that i really enjoy, allowing my NDX 2 to really breathe and let go…

You could get a nice sideline writing romantic novels for Mills & Boon with your eloquent wordsmithing :dancer:t3::man_dancing:

2 Likes

Should be perfect with a Linn Klimak then……

1 Like