Audioquest Vodka Ethernet full loom

I guess my point here looked at from a different perspective is that using expensive construction materials and adding in multiples of extra shielding material doesn’t neccessarily provide a true optimal cable for the use case and environment.
It’s why understanding the actual make up of the cable is important to gain a better understanding of its relationship with the system it operates in as a whole.
By understanding the various standard constuction types you can then define a more meaningful range of experiments between cable types, measure the environment as a whole, record those results and what you found and then you can always refer back to them in written form later to see if the results are consistent over time.
I’d go as far to record time of day, your mood, and any other environment parameters like air temperature and time of day as examples.
This should avoid expensive mistakes and ensure consistency across the system as a whole.
Often there’s an element of changing one link in the chain, like an interconnect or power cable then determining the benefits straightaway. If I make changes I tend to swop things from old to new in two week intervals and make a note of what I find different over a longer time frame.
The difference between cables that bring changes or improvements tends to center around the shielding used and likely to an extent the conductor material.
If you try a new cable, perhaps try it with the old switch you upgraded from for a week or two, then swop in your current higher specification switch for a few weeks.
I’d certainly encourage those experimenting to make notes as they go to refer back to.

2 Likes

One thing i’ve noticed with the Vodka is the bottom end now coming out of my n-SUB has some real wallop behind it. N-SATs now sounding like mini DBLs :laughing:

1 Like

Just get some DBL’s and be done with it :partying_face:

2 Likes

We’ve been using Melco C1AE cables which are price comparable to cinnamon. Shielded yada yada.

Excellent results although we might look to “upgrade” now we have splurged on the black boxes (last time we tried we could hear no difference so kept Melco cables)

There may be a reason for that.

I had a full loom AQ made up of Vodka and Cinnamon. I then tried a couple of lengths of fairly basic Designacable Catsnake 6a, and preferred it. I now have pretty much a full loom of Catsnake which has removed the edginess of the Vodka.

Ethernet cable preference is very system and set up dependent. But this is one area where spending a lot of dosh is no guarantee of success.

3 Likes

The combination of the vodka with some power cables can get a lot of bass, I noticed this when I tried IFi supernova power cables, but with the audioquest tornados the bass is very controlled and defined.

1 Like

The risk with full loom vodkas is too much energy, overwhelming bass and too forward sound. But it may also work well.

1 Like

+1
I’m running all three of them :blush:

3 Likes

The good thing with having a 2.1 satellite active subwoofer speaker system is being able to manually control the bass - so i do have an advantage here. Also the n-SAT’s treble are not overly bright like with many other traditional stand-mounts. I feel the full loom Vodka could really work here, hence my curiosity with the feed back from other members with similar setups .

1 Like

I do have a CatSnake Cat 6a (floating) Ethernet cable here somewhere. I may have to dig it out and try it on the last leg again. I do recall having mixed feelings about using it in my previous system. A rather fat bass, maybe too fat, but that was using a completely different router ‘switch’ and speakers in a far lesser setup.

1 Like

I tested the Diamond and also had it for some time in my system before I switched to the Chord Music. I would be careful with the Diamond. It brings a certain analytical aspect to the sound which sometimes can be a bit overwhelming / leading to fatigue. The Vodka has of course not the level of precision of the Diamond, but is very very good value for money. I still have Bodka between my Melco’s and the switch.

1 Like

I would be interested to hear how your experiment with the CatSnake goes as it replicates what I did (other than different system, different room, different set up, different ears).

1 Like

I use the Vodka and like what it brings in terms of clarity and cohesiveness - but I also ‘mix’ my cables and find I get a better end result that way.
Some equipment likes the Vodka and some give better results in terms of overall voicing of the end-result if other cables are also used in the mix - in my system.

I use Vodka 1.5m in final leg from Melco to ND555 and preferred that over Cinnamon and all other cables I have yet tried.
I use an inexpensice Cat6 1.5m non-HiFi commercial cable from Kabal Direkt (KD) between my Ethernet Regen (ER) switch to the Melco and that place seems to work better with that.
Then I have a 1m Vodka between my ER switch and my Cisco 2960 switch in my HiFi room which accepts the long feed from the House Router (all standard CAT6 cable).

The tuning of the cables in the HiFi room was worthwhile and at present it works so well that I don’t really want to fiddle with it.

But I tried all Vodka cable and it is a bit ‘intense’ and lost tone colours, whereas the mix: Vodka-KD-Vodka in line works beautifully and they seem to compliment each other.
The Vodka can tend to a very detailed but a bit ‘dry’ presentation whereas the KD has an effusive full-bodied presentation. Both run-in from an extreme of these and then sound more neutral but with always I find a hint of that quality.
The combination sounds great - so just don’t presume all of one thing must be better - it may be but try it and decide.

People have said Vodka cable can accentuate an ‘in your face’ clarity, but I have not found this when some care is taken to ensure it works in the right interconnection and has run-in for a long long time. For some reason my 1.5m Vodka took 3-6 months whereas the 1.0m Vodka took 6-12 months - and can sound a bit bruital until run-in, then no hint of that attribute and a good presentation of image depth and dynamic scale in the music is what distinguishes it in my system from other cables I have tried. Low-level details are retrieved well as music weaves of complex note structures bifircate and I don’t hit a ‘wall’ in the sound either of cold cut-off or fuzzy-blur which cn happen with some items and I avoid.

…and I know they are just Erthernet cables and ‘can’t’ have these effects - it is just that in fact they do. :bear:

DB.

3 Likes

I’ve never really got on with CatSnake for the very same reason. I too thought it had rather odd and slightly overblown bass. I much preferred the lighter and more deft Chord C-stream. However, from time to time, I do like to revisit things - especially if something has changed. I recently re-tried my Catsnake and noticed I’d marked the direction. Being a bit of a rebel I thought I try it reversed. Well, blow me down if it didn’t sound better. The bass lightened considerably and everything seemed much more musical? I’m going to leave it in for a week and then see how it sounds against the Chord but it’s looking very promising.

2 Likes

Interesting.

What has changed in your system since you last tried CatSnake, other than the direction of the cable?

My 500 was being looked at and my DBL’s are being serviced, so have been using my 135’s and Isobariks. However, I did play the catsnake with the 500 in the usual direction and preferred the Chord. In the other direction I’m not so sure now. I know Ethernet is not supposed to be that directional but I can hear some sort of effect. I may need to wait until my DBL’s are back in service to really hear the difference? I still think you should try Catsnake both ways and see what you think?

1 Like

Oh gawd, I was hoping to stop faffing with ethernet cable and put my feet up!

3 Likes

I’ve had the Vodka in for a few days now and it’s really starting to impress me. The definition is just fabulous. A sparkle in the high notes, that other cables can’t even hint at, bass also with real might and power. So glad i’ve kept this cable in my armoury. I think I’m going in for a second Vodka for my NAS drive to switch. Router to switch will be my last one.

Ok I couldn’t resist - second Vodka winging it’s way here, should have it this coming Wednesday. Cheers! :tumbler_glass::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Today I tried all connected by cinamon, then reverted back to all connected by vodka, the diference on the sopra was big enough for me to let my network with vodka only.

My NDX 2 is on repair and when it arrives I will connect it with the Diamond.

The diference from an all Cinamon and an all vodka, is that with all vodka upgrade gets you a lot of clarity, better detail, texture, precision focus, realism and musicality, going back to an all cinamon was not bad the sound turn out less nuanced and resolved, but the vodkas give me a lot more.

Combining the cinamon with the vodka is more difficult, because depending on where I have the cinamon could lead to loss of realism or some harshness, and results better when I have it on the server.

I can’t experiment an all Diamond system, because I only have two and are small lengths 1,5m, and to have an all Diamond network I needed two more with 3 and 5m and the price of the Diamond is not interesting in those lengths for even think to go that route.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes