Auralic Aries G1 with Qutest, SN2 and HiCap

Excellent, we are heading to the same destination, but different paths…SJB is already there. I am going to wait a while on the streamer though, hoping Chord release one before too long, that matches the TT2 instead of the two piece 2YU/2go. Before the streamer I might try an Opto-DX between my Mscaler and TT2, the company that makes them is located here in Canada, just a few hour drive for me.

I thought about the TT2 but as I’ve just added the Qutest, I want to keep that so it makes more sense to add a HMS first. I did think about the NDX2 but I sort of new (after testing the Qutest) that I enjoyed the Chord DAC sound more. Very happy with my current setup and especially the Aries G1.

I may end up with the G1 myself, it seems like this segment is evolving so fast, so that is why I wanted, and went with a seperate DAC from the streamer.

I can well imagine that… networking, wifi and even streaming services are likely to change a lot over the next 5 years or more. I read that there’s also a simple remote for the Aries but it seems it’s out of stock everywhere at the moment.

That’s exactly why I went G1. Dacs move to fast. I may also go the Mscaler route, but my budget is kind of low right now! I will say I’m having fun with my Dynaudio Xeo 6’s I moved then to my family room. Kind of forgot how good they sound.

You probably know, but just in case you don’t …

The Aries allows you to map remote control commands from your current remote to the Aries. So on my narcom play and stop, next and previous are mapped to these Aries commands.

This is one of the bonus features of the Auralic for me, in that I can use my Naim remote to control it (including Roon)

.sjb

1 Like

It does make sense to add an Mscaler.

That depends, it depends whether I like what it adds to the system. I intend to listen to what the TT2 adds over the Qutest compared to the Mscaler. However, as I will end up with both in the future (subject to demo) it’s just a question of which comes first and that all comes down to what discounts, deals I can get.

As the Mscaler is the least likely item to be updated it’s not likely to see huge discounts for some time, I’d imagine TT2’s will be updated first and therefore will be discounted when the TT3 comes out. That maybe a couple of years or so. So, if I do see a good ex-demo / pre-loved deal on the Mscaler, I’ll take it. But, as I say, it’s not and either or, just which one first.

Mine will need a few months to recover as well, no rush and plenty of time to enjoy what we have know👍🏻

No I didn’t… so basically I can use my Naim SN2 remote and map the Next, Previous, Stop,Play functions to the G1?!? Well… I’ll be looking into that as that would great bonus feature!! Thanks

@Sloop_John_B Cheers… Naim Remote all setup now… was a breeze to do. Surprised that you can have full control… fast forward, reverse, previous, next and repeat etc etc. Very impressed!

1 Like

The TT2 is a great DAC/pre in it’s own right, even without the MScaler.

I really like my TT2, and it is also extremely effective with a TOSLink optical (Audioquest Vodka) from my LG TV into the TT2- making voices sound extremely natural.

System-matching the TT2 as a pre (i.e. without a NAC or equivalent) into a NAP/poweramp needs to be auditioned, similarly as a direct amplifier into passive speakers - a scenario that also works and provides incredible detail with fewer steps in the chain, but we each have different ‘ears’ and components.

2 Likes

I’ll demo the TT2 at the same time as the Mscaler just to see how it sounds on it’s own compared to Qutest + Mscaler. As I say, in the end I will end up with both but as I have a SN2, I don’t need to use it as a pre amp yet. That said, I suppose my ultimate goal would look like

Aries G1 - TT2/Mscaler - Naim Nap 250DR

That’s provided the pre-amp of the TT2 will play nice with the TT2 (or whatever is out at that time! That would be a Lon way off though.

1 Like

Does your TT2 go straight into Naim 250s? Apologies – but I wasn’t quite sure whether I understood your system description (“250x2R power (upgraded)”) correctly. :confused:

Did you ever try your set-up with a Naim pre in between? I would be very interested in your observations.

Cheers! :grinning:

Hi, apologies for the ambiguity.
I run old (circa 2004) TAGMcLaren amplification which is fully serviced, and in the case (literally) of the 250x2R (which is two 250wpc@8ohm monoblocks stood vertically) extra capacitance has been installed by ‘Kevin’ to give faster response and ‘drive’.
Given this is a Naim forum I don’t want to divert attention away from their excellent amplifiers; for me I would like more compact amplification in the future.
System 1 and 2 below (the Atom is new to me since Sunday - a great device), System 3 is a Qb2. I run either roon (1,2&3) or Naim multiroom (2&3).
I previously ran a ND5 XS2, and then got upgraditis with the TT2, Melco, Mutec 3+ and a roon Nucleus+ - a lot of that had to go because of Covid lockdown, and I have now gone for a more modest, but better balanced network, server and streamer(s) solution.

image image

5 Likes

I have tried:-
. The TT2 direct into my ATC SCM11’s ( very detailed but sounded ‘cold’ - bear in mind that ATC speakers are said to be ‘transparent’)
. The TT2 to the large power amp, in turn to the SCM11’s
. The TT2 Via analogue stage on the pre-amp (in bypass mode avoiding digital processing), that matches to the power amp, into the SCM11. The pre & power are star earthed in this setup.

I prefer the latter, but system / component / cable matching is different for most of us - hence my original comment.

4 Likes

Thanks @T-elmi for your additional input – much appreciated and very interesting! :grinning:

I am still considering a step up for the streaming front-end in the main system 1 - currently it is the AlloDigiOne signature with upgraded LPSU - with Ropiee installed to run as a roon endpoint. This sounds good (and definitely better than it’s predecessors, RPi4 [bare] and then standard Allo DigiOne), but NOT excellent when I compare it with my (little used) turntable+good cartridge+phono stage (total cost to me £1k) which I keep for a few old & loved LP’s, or from my ‘memory’ of the expensive and superb Melco N1ZH/2 (non roon end-point, still, even with the EX upgrade) which has gone.

A consultative dealer (in Auralic, Naim, Linn, DCS, Chord and others) did recently recommend the Auralic Aries G1 to me over a NDX2 for pure streaming with the TT2 but I do not want another full-width black box in my rack (which applies with either of those options). Also bearing in mind that to make a NDX2 ‘sing’ it needs another black box PSU.

A ‘full reset’ with a NDX2, XPSDR/555DR, and SN3 is a much more expensive and maybe more balanced option which I cannot consider, so I stick with a ‘bitsa’ system that I can steadily optimise.

So I am considering a Stack Audio Link, or a Chord 2go/2yu (once the firmware is sorted) to audition, amongst others, as the next small step back up.

2 Likes

One reads surprisingly little about Stack Audio’s Link, but aesthetically it’s an attractive box, I think. A considerable chunk of production costs — no doubt — go into the milling of the case.

On Saturday (when I treated myself with a pair of Focal Elegia…) I saw the Hugo 2Go in flesh. A really nice looking unit with the Hugo. With the 2yu it’s a compact streamer, but I wonder as to whether the hefty price tag is really justified —obviously the proof of the pudding is in the listening… :smiley:

Hi,

You may want to borrow a Meridian 210. Small box and works superbly in my system, from memory better than a dCS Network Bridge …which I also recommend. Limited to 9624, but I don’t hear any limits, just music.

Yes, the Meridian 210 is on the list. There are a lot of streamer options out there. As I have mentioned elsewhere an Atom-styled / Atom-level device with a digital out, (to go into the TT2), would be my preference but it doesn’t exist.

I am still getting used to the Atom in my second system, and before I do anything I will try it with my main system (i.e. without the TT2 in the chain) on normal Naim-app playback and as a roon end-point, to set a baseline for comparison vs. the Digione Sig + TT2.

That should be interesting, look forward to your thoughts.