Balance knob poll

I will keep this short because I am getting a little tired by reposting the same thing over an over in a hundred imbalance threads:

• The variable low-level imbalance exists in some (not all) pots. There are variations between pots and Naim tests and grades them.
  • There is a variability that is considered acceptable but it should be limited to low volume levels that are normally not used.
  • If it starts at a level that impacts reasonable low-level listing, talk to dealer/distributer/Naim. (On my new 252 it started at 8 oā€™clock with normal-sensitive speakers, which is not all that low, and the distributor put in a better one, no problem)
1 Like

Thanks, saw some of your previous posts and understand points 1 & 2 wellā€¦point 3 seems the way to go, if that doesnā€™t work prob move to a different ampā€¦so fingers crossed.
However, still disappointed by it.
And hey, chill out manā€¦if itsā€™ tiresomeā€¦donā€™t postā€¦listen to some music on those nice new speakers ! :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh I misread the title I thought it was an adult party trick. :wink: :joy:

So true :slight_smile: and good luck. I understand your disappointment. When I installed the 252, I also had this ā€œreally? :roll_eyes:ā€ moment. The dealerā€™s demo that I had tried before didnā€™t have the issue at all and was balanced down to essentially zero, so no way for me to know. The dealer and distributer were great and I had mine back within a week with the problem solved (and interestingly getting even better over time), but it shouldnā€™t be necessary at this level, be it 552 or 252.

I think I would be troubled by all whatā€™s been reported so far.
My amp has no balance control and it has never crossed my mind that one was needed.
In fact , by the nature of the naim job not being notched at centre - and with such a variance - to me it would make me feel the same as if I was scatting blindfolded on thin ice.
The balance control here seems to be a solution to a compromise.

1 Like

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Swap for a NAIT XS and forget about it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Looking at the results itā€™s still not of huge importance to Naim to centre the blighter, close enough is good enough and let the punters use their ears to set the balance.

iā€™d like if they got rid of it altogether

Followed by a thousand threads about wrong balance by people with asymmetrical rooms/setups :wink:

How did you do it?

Did you just pull your knob off?

:joy:

Seriously though I would like to know as mine is out irrespective of volume level

According to other people who tried itā€™s not that easy on a 552 and involved opening the box IIRC, so best left to dealer

1 Like

552 hasnā€™t arrived yet Iā€™m still enjoying my 252 which has the issue

I think on the 252 you can pull off the knob, but you need to take care of the LED cable, and when you put it back on make sure that the cable has enough freedom for the full rotation left and right. But I havenā€™t had to do it, so not sure of the details. There are posts about it

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :blush:
Just pull gently on the knob using 2 hands(ooerr matron!) and it will come away from the shaft of the pot. You can then reposition as required. I found using 2 hands gave better control whilst removing. Be careful on a Fraim rack that the glass shelf doesnā€™t move. As others have mentioned be aware of the leads to the led!

1 Like

Many thanks :+1:

iā€™ve seen thousands of system photos and they all look pretty symmetrical

if not get rid of it altogether a true centre notch would be nice

Sure, but a relatively small number of affected customers can still create lots of posts

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.