BBQ Season again

Context, for some reason couldn’t post photos last night:

2 Likes

Best charcoal I’ve found in years:

Surprised today at the price………£26 for 7 kg in a garden centre. Back to bookers in the week to see-there price.

Three minutes each side i reckon.

2 Likes

Lovely. I do enjoy long slow cooking. A 24 hr cooked pork shoulder is one of my favourites. A smoker to help with that is tempting.

1 Like

Same brand or different stuff?

Different stuff…….B and M do 5kg for £5.

1 Like

Think we are having bbq for tea today but not home until about 6pm so won’t be very early. Hope it goes better than my first pizza attempt this year :grimacing:

2 Likes

My little pellet smoker gives consistently good results. Just dial in the temp and it will stay there until it runs out of pellets (a full hopper lasts more than 8 hours). We also have an Aga inside, so an overnight slow cook is always on the cards. Totally agree with you on the pork shoulder.

2 Likes

Surprisingly late first BBQ of the season for us … 10 June.

I used the indirect heat method to cool a leg of lamb, then, while that was resting, used the areas right over the charcoal (local stuff) for direct heat cooking of vegetarian food and other meaty things (the gap between the two of piles of charcoal makes a good cordon sanitaire!). Dancook 1800, now sadly no longer made.

For 4hours the BBQ maintained a steady 200°-220°C, even when we’d finished putting everything away.

(Photos: start and final temps!)

2 Likes

Walnut pesto chicken kebabs over charcoal (with gas ignition for ease)

1 Like

My wife has introduced me to Netflicks’ “Great American BBQ Showdown” (or something like that).

Some of the BBQs look like they should be pulling half a dozen coaches on the East Coast line.

(Note to contestants: do not hide a whole Carolina Reaper in your canapé, and then give it to the lady judge!)

3 Likes

That was my original observation - ourselves and neighbours who normally grill/BBQ outdoors frequently seem to have started much later this year. I’m really not sure why.

Similar here. We did one a few weeks back and despite the recent run of great weather we’ve not returned to the grill. Normally we’d be doing 2 a week in summer.

1 Like

5 cms of rain in half an hour today.

Cricket :cricket: season and BBQ :meat_on_bone: season, an offering to the Gods of Rain :umbrella:.

3 Likes

2nd of the season for me yesterday. Reverse seared a big chunk of Black Angus ribeye. That was beautiful.

1 Like

wow love that pizza oven,is that a big green egg painted red.

Thanks! The pizza oven is a bit of a beast - had to come in by forklift since it weighs 850kg!

The red oven is a “Kamado Joe” - a competitor of the Big Green Egg. They are very similar. I looked at both at the time and decided to go with the KJ (for reasons that I can’t now recall a maybe something about the hinge?).

We’ve had a number of BBQs this year, I think we started in April. And, I know it’s heresy, but we do use gas.

Just recently finished a pergola to give all year round protection.

A couple of photos of this, but the BBQ is covered up to minimise the risk of offending non gas users.

I must admit that gas is convenient and quick to use, making it easier to have a BBQ at short notice.

DG….

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.