BBQ Season again

Tell me where you live and I’ll just pop buy.

5 Likes

Occasionally I will fill the (weber) chimney and get the charcoal red hot. Don’t empty and either put a grate on top or skewers of food (kebabs, yakitori) straddling the chimney. Uses much less charcoal but cooks very quickly.

2 Likes

Bbq all the time. 4-5 nights per week. Use a big green egg with charcoal. Like the Komodo joe too. Have used a gas bbq a couple of times but really prefer charcoal

Works well for two people. Then you shut it down and the fire goes dead so you can use the same charcoal several times. Take the coals and add a bit of new charcoal.

3 Likes

I have a large bge since 2003. They are the best. Twice the price these days but what isnt.

1 Like

Cooked a top sirloin cap tonight on the egg, Brazilians call it picanha. Lovely cut of meat but imo best over charcoal.

3 Likes

Charcoal for me with the Weber classic. I love using the direct and indirect method of cooking with the lid down.
Last night we had Bulgarian burgers from our local Turkish shop. Very tasty too. Lamb chops and fresh mackerel.

1 Like

Another Big Green Egg owner here. It gets used all year round.

Never gas.

2 Likes

Was away last week and came across this BBQ sauce, one of the best i have tasted. R Bainbridge is a restaurant owner and Chef in Norwich.

1 Like

My personal preference remains wood or wood charcoal and my favourite device was a smoker my brother bought many years ago which looked like a small steam locomotive with a firebox for the fuel at one end, a cylindrical body and a chimney at the other. Meat was cooked slowly in the chambers between.

A few years back my wife, who is from the US mid-west bought a Weber gas grill. It runs off ‘patio gas’ which I assume is propane. I ranted and fumed about it but it uses triangular bars between the food and the burners to capture the meat juices and fats and turn them into smoke and I grudgingly admit the food ends up tender, moist and tasting of meat/smoke. You can also fire up one half or two and it’s ready very quickly.

I’m still not acknowledging it works well, outside of this forum, but it does. I suppose you have to think Weber wouldn’t dare risk their reputation on something that left food tasting like burned gas.

My wife’s brother in law has a gas bbq connected to the gas supply from the house. He’s out there in the snow each winter cooking!

2 Likes

I like the triangular bars idea - anyone know if similar can be bought to add to an existing BBQ, or is it a Weber-only proprietary thing?

Mark

1 Like

Yep, it seems that the triangular bars are widely available.

Google is yer pal.

2 Likes

Ours has got the triangular bars. They seem to work.

2 Likes

Have a look at the weber Go Anywhere, works across the whole range of cooks. Theres often only 2of us and i use it for skewers, steaks, or burgers etc.

1 Like

I’m perhaps being a bit disingenuous regarding my charcoal BBQ skills.

It’s always been my preferred way of cooking outdoors, though I tend to gravitate towards thick juicy steaks (cooked rare), lamb steaks, sausages etc for the kids - these things don’t take long to cook and I generally find them better with direct heat or at least indirect heat with kamado lids up or kettle lids removed.

I’m just not that patient with with long slow roasts which may taste good but can be scuppered timing wise if you have too little fuel and the darned thing goes out which happened a few times last year - not helped by relaxing and not keeping an eye on it frequently enough but you shouldn’t need to once you’re skilled enough.

I also find with lid down cooking that I always seem to get loads of ash over food with the Weber kettle on lifting the lid, and to a lesser extent the Aldi Kamado.

We don’t have a decent local butcher shop currently, but Morrison’s used to do a cracking pre-packed rump picanha, though it often had too much cracked black pepper which other family members didn’t enjoy as much as me.

Exactly. I use the Egg-type with hardwood charcoal….for 2! It’s easy, fast and tastes great. As you say, close the lid and it goes out within 15mins and use the remainder next time. Gas? Where does the flavour come from?

We built an “outdoor kitchen” a few years ago. In it I have a Kamado Joe, a wood fired pizza oven, a gas bbq and a Traeger pellet smoker. The gas bbq gets used the least out of the lot.

The Kamado is amazing imo, easy to use, predictable, controllable etc. same with the pellet smoker, although it is for a very particular type of bbq-ing. The wood fired pizza oven is great, although I’m kidding myself is I suggest it’s worth the cost over those little portable pizza ovens which get amazing results. The theatre of it is very nice though.

Anyway, the upshot is bbq-ing (or at least cooking outside) all year round. Love it.

3 Likes

We need a pic😉

I don’t need much encouragement…

Removing the incredible tree was never on the cards, so we built around it.

22 Likes

When we’ll visit we won’t talk about hifi upgrades. We promise …

1 Like