Beautiful Music That Reduce You To Tears

1 Like
1 Like

Not the magical version of Norman, but still nice and we see her in this video

2 Likes

Though a minor part of my listening, it’s often classical music that gets me. Vaughan Williams fantasia on a theme from Thomas Tallis, the second movement from Rodrigo’s guitar concerto, pretty much anything from Max Richter.
On the Americana front Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings know how to press my lachrymal buttons e.g. GW’s a lovers prayer or DR’s bells of Harlem.

1 Like

Hi, And thanks. I’m 60. In my second year at university I shared with two older guys, one doing a Ph.D, the other the president of the Union. Clapton, Little Feat, the Stones, Rod, the Doobies, Southside Johnny, Springsteen and Van Morrison were seldom far from the turntable.

They weren’t too interested in my post-punk ‘efforts’.

I totally get your sentiments. It was a good time for me too.

Natalie Merchant’s Beloved Wife from her Tigerlily album. And Cara Dillon’s version of The Leaving Song from The Tern and the Swallow album. And many more female vocalists’ songs……

1 Like

And another I almost forgot, The Banks of the Nile by Sandy Denny/Fotheringay. One of my Desert Island Discs!

3 Likes

Ah, but if we’re talking Sandy, you have to mention “Who Knows…” from Unhalfbricking

4 Likes

Some lovely stuff mentioned on here.

I’m not an expert on classical music but I do like some Vaughan Williams. Thomas Tallis and Lark Ascending are both beautiful

More contemporary stuff

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
This Woman’s Work - Kate Bush

Something by Eels. Maybe Climbing to the Moon or Dead of Winter

Streets of London - Ralph McTell

3 Likes

This gets me every time. Using Buckley’s guitar seals the deal.

3 Likes

The last few minutes of the last movement of Mahler’s Resurrection symphony (No. 2). From “Aufersteh’n! Ja, aufersteh’n! to the end. Bernstein with the VPO on DG.

Or the end of the immolation scene from Gotterdammerung. Solti with the VPO on Decca.

Or when the cellos come in with the first notes of the “Ode to Joy” theme in the last movement of Beethoven’s 9th symphony. Bernstein with the VPO on DG.

Copland’s Appalachian Spring. Bernstein with New York on Sony.

The last 15 minutes of Der Rosenkavalier. Schwarzkopf. Karajan and Philharmonia on EMI.

O Soave fanciulla from La Boheme. Pavarotti and Freni on Decca. Berlin with Karajan.

Last movement of Tchaikovsky “Pathetique” symphony (No. 6). Mravinsky/Leningrad on DG.

Most Stephen Sondheim ballads. Especially “Not a Day Goes By.” Bernadette Peters at Sondheim Concert at Carnegie Hall back in 1992.

Many others. I’m a sucker for beautiful music!

5 Likes

Kind of mainstream music,but for me it is
REM-Everybody hurts or
Sinead O’conner -Nothing compares to you.

3 Likes

Blind Faith Can’t Find My Way Home

5 Likes

Charles Mingus. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. From the Mingus Ah Um album.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Mostly because René did walk away. Life imitating art, etc.

Which got me thinking about other breakup songs that have reliably walloped me over the years. Stupidly cued up Tom Waits’ Martha on the NDS and I crumpled instantly.

There’s a few more too. The Donnis Trio’s Tip of the Tongue ended me multiple times in 2020.

2 Likes

Some have already been mentioned above. The one that always gets me is the Death of Juliet in Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet.

Good shout for Everybody hurts, but its the Corrs cover that gets me every time.

1 Like

Completely agree, I am still discovering masterpieces which I probably heard back then and hearing them now bring strong feelings and emotions as they as you quite rightly said provide the links to what I was doing back then when so many changes were happening.

Tim

Great song hadn’t herd this one before, and love the picture with the wonderful Linda Ronstadt.

Tim

1 Like