Beautiful Music That Reduce You To Tears

I find it hard to watch the film Breaker Morant (with actor Edward Woodward) through to the end with a dry eye.

Which reminds me: Why does Edward Woodward have so many d’s in his name? Because otherwise he’d be called Ewar WooWar.

1 Like

A Different Corner George Michael … fab

3 Likes

I have seen Beethoven’s Choral Symphony 3 or 4 times at the RAH penultimate night of the Proms.

The last time was about 20 years ago, and it did hit me hard for some reason towards the end.

One of several which fit the bill and stir up emotions in me.

Don’t Cry For Me Argentina - by Julie Covington. So tender, wonderful phrasing and, at times, sparse and delicate.

Many have covered this but none have done it as well as Julie’s original IMHO. It’s not supposed to be anthemic as some have interpreted it. Less is often far more.

6 Likes

Great thread… Too many to choose from…

June Tabor - The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda

Sinéad O’Connor - Scarlet Ribbons

The Magic of Halloween - John Williams

I Believe in You - Talk Talk

Family Life - The Blue Nile

That’s just for starters. Like others have said, age has made me an emotional wreck… this is why we listen to music!

2 Likes

So many excellent very moving songs and pieces have already been mentioned. To add a few in no particular order and in no way my comprehensive or definitive list:
J.S. Bach, Wir setzen uns mit Tränen nieder, final choral from St Matthew’s Passion
Mahler, Urlicht, 2nd Symphony
Bruckner, 7th Symphony
Mozart, Ah soccorso, Don Giovanni
Pink Floyd, The Gunner’s Dream (also for the lyrics: “everyone has recourse to the law and no one kills the children anymore”)
James Blunt, No Bravery (the lyrics speak for themselves)
Beethoven, 7th Symphony, 2nd movement
Wagner, Siegfrieds Trauermarsch, Götterdämmerung
McCartney, Maybe I’m amazed, just to mention a love song as well.

1 Like

Brings a tear to my eye everytime I hear it.

Over the years, I have chosen this song in similar threads on other forums, but this version was recorded live by the Broadway community two days after the passing of Stephen Sondheim. The actual song begins just after the two-minute mark.

For those who don’t know the context, they are singing about this:

@Nickd @Christopher_M @badger1954

I have no idea how old you are but I am now 66 & the tracks you name are all favourites of mine from the time of their original release. Whenever I play or hear them now they always generate strong emotions.

I strongly suspect this is because I was a teenager for two of them & not a lot older for Comfortably. They all bring back very fond memories of turning from child to adult. First loves, first job, first car & the independence it bought etc. etc.

Much of the music I was discovering/listening to in the 1970’s has remained firm favourites & generates pleasant recollections. Most things/experiences were new then & as you get older the thrill of the new becomes something occurring rather less often.

I have a lot of music I like from the decades after the 70’s but very little of it generates the same feelings that I have described above. Good music but doesn’t stir the soul in the same way as Clapton, Floyd, Genesis, Eagles etc. probably just because it wasn’t around at the optimum time for me.

5 Likes

Rickie Lee Jones album ‘Girl at Her Volcano’ has her take on ‘Walk Away Renée’, which is a bit of a choker for me.

G

5 Likes

Simon & Garfunkel. Silent night/7oClock news. From the album Parsley sage rosemary and thyme.

3 Likes

66, coming up 67 in January and I feel much the same. The 70’s were for me the glory years.

2 Likes

Hi Canaryfan, as it happens I’m 65 in February, so we are not far apart, and oh boy, have you captured my every thought in what you have written, thank you my friend, it’s nice to know someone else thinks along the same lines.

Whatever your age, if everyone sat back & thought about it, I suspect these sentiments would apply to the majority & their favourite tunes, to quite a great degree.

2 Likes

I’m 67 so we are contemporaries.

What you say is so true. We were hearing these sounds for the first time and they formed the sound track to our young lives and thus evoke powerful memories when we listen to them now.

I know I’m biased and it’s very much a generalisation, but the standard of musicianship and the desire to use musical skills to explore the sounds that instruments and emerging technologies were capable of was more exciting back then.

Record companies seemed to be more willing to take risks and invest in emerging talent.

Maybe I’m wrong?

2 Likes

Yes, I think you’re quite correct my friend.

Yes, what you say is so true my friend. Great memories of an incredible era.

Just beautiful

2 Likes

Maybe not tears, but getting there.

1 Like

Lowell George - Twenty Million Things

The fact he passed away not long after it was recorded, leaving a wife and young daughter makes it even more poignant.

2 Likes