Best 2020 jazz albums

Cheers Kevster, have I misunderstood, I thought it was your list published by Jazzwise
:+1:

Love the funky ass sound of the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio.

1 Like

Yes, I like the intoxicating rythm and the organ sound. And the guitarist is awesome !

Iā€™m struggling to find Maria Schneider Data Lords.

I am listening now to Dinausor. Interesting. And very well recorded too.
My favourite track : Held by water.

1 Like

But your favourite is? Lakecia Benjamin ?

The most recent Delvon Lamaar I could find is this 2018 release (not played it yet)
20210105_165020

3 Likes

I have it. There is another one on pre order,

Itā€™s very near Booker T and the Mgā€™s from late 60ā€™s.

1 Like

A big thumbs up from me for that Gary Bartz and Maisha night dreamer direct to disc recording. It is my favourite of the year.

3 Likes

Hi Dread - itā€™s only available via a us artists collective thingy www.artistshare.com (soz canā€™t do the link) I think download only.

Worth a quick excerpt test play first as itā€™s pretty full on.

3 Likes

Cheers!

Time Out has long been a favourite album of mine and my Classic Records Vinyl pressing always gets a spin if evaluating any turntable upgrade.
Timeless music, Iā€™m just listening to this for the first time. These unreleased alternate takes dont sound like mere Studio floor cast offs and sound remarkably fresh and complete pieces. A wonderful take (pun intended) on the original album.
If you love Time Out youā€™ll be besotted with thisā€¦
20210105_173457

5 Likes

Not heard that one yet, but Maisha There Is A Place is worth a listen
20210105_173723

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Incidentally, as a fan of Jamaican Music I was listening to Val Bennett The Russians Are Coming long before I even heard of Dave Brubeck :joy:

Thx for this keV. Never heard of her but enjoying the album a lot. Tho to be fair you canā€™t go wrong with a ColtraneĀ² Tribute!

1 Like

Has anyone heard Django Bates Bird tribute with the Norrbotten Big Band ā€“ Tenacity? Seemed to get a lot of good reviews but doesnā€™t appear on Tidal or Qobuz services. I do like to try before I buy the vinyl.

1 Like

Yes itā€™s very good.

Iā€™ve been enjoying Maishaā€™s There Is A Place album.
Just listening to this on stream as recommended on this thread.
Lovely playing from Gary Bartz who Iā€™ve not heard a great deal of before now, fuses really well with the funky grooves of Maisha. Accessible and involving music.
One for my lockdown vinyl wantslist for sure,
Anyone care to offer any further recommendations from the Night Dreamer sessions?
How are the vinyl pressings?
Cheers
20210106_133325

2 Likes

One suspects this is going to be an expensive but marvelous lockdown MK2.
Positive vibes
:heart:

1 Like