Best 2020 jazz albums

I had downloaded this one, live, on Bandcamp.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s another good un, I have that too
:+1:

1 Like

Hi Dread - yup great album good to see the oldies and the ā€˜kidsā€™ playing so well together. My only quibblet is there isnā€™t enough of Shirley Tettehā€™s magnificent guitar work.

Heavyweight vinyl pressing is gorgeous; in fact a lovely package altogether. Sounds so live.

The only other Iā€™ve heard (streamed) is Elliott Galvin (Dinosaur pianist) Modern Times. It was recorded direct to disc in the same studio but is on the Edition label. Piano trio chock-full of ideas and superb playing.

2 Likes

Cheers BlueCanary.
I wasnt sure if this was genuine direct to disc mastering (must be something digital in the chain hence availability on streaming). A purest recording technique rarely seen these days.
The Elliott Galvin is in my ā€œfavouritesā€ not listened yet, thanks for the nod to that.
Iā€™m now listening to the Seau Jorge and Rose session. I dont listen to nearly enough Brazillian vibes, sublime laid back vocals and acoustic guitarā€¦
20210106_140536
Arguably not all titles neccesarily fitting the Jazz pigeonhole (as defined by the Jazz Police!) but this is a label Iā€™m going to be digging deep intoā€¦

1 Like

Have you heard Camilla George The People Could Fly

Surely have - on your original recommendation if I recall. She also did one of Ronnie Scottā€™s YouTube lockdown sessions - pretty sure Shirley was in the band - worth checking out if you havenā€™t already.

1 Like

Will add it to my lockdown round tooit. Has she done any recordings in her own right? havent seen any.
Iā€™m on a bit of a buzz today listening to the Night Dreamer back catalogue. Iā€™m tempted to buy the lot and have emailed them to see if they will do a deal.
Iā€™ve also set myself the task of listening to every title I dont have thatā€™s been recommended on this thread, only 24hrs in the day though!

Next up
20210106_152301
Followed by
20210106_152334

1 Like

Having been enjoying the Time Outtakes Iā€™ve just heard courtesy of @Nick1940 on the Jazz thread of the passing of Eugene Wright.
Respect due, RIP

1 Like

Iā€™m hooked on this Sarathy Korwar Night Dreamer session. Is been on continuous loop since first hearing it yesterday.
Fantastic improvised welding of Indian Raga, Free Jazz, funky vibes and hypnotic electronic dance music.

My introduction to the Night Dreamer Sessions was the previously recommended Gary Bartz/Maisha, thatā€™s great but to my ears this is better.
:heart:

I recommend the Buba Zula Night Dreamer recording too. Itā€™s a world / jazz fusion from this Turkish band superb

1 Like

Cheers Biggles, yes Iā€™m working my way through them all on stream. Iā€™m quite enamoured with them all so far, so tempted Iā€™ve emailed them for a price to buy the whole back catalogue on LP

1 Like

I recommend that artist and album discovered recently. I loved it.
A bit 70ā€™s spiritual fusion , in the way of Lonnie Listen Smith, Norman Connors or Stanley Clarke.
Track: space and time.

I opened a new thread, to continue this one now in 2021.
See in the music thread, in Ā« which JAZZ album are you listeningā€¦ Ā»

Theres already a Jazz thread why not just contribute to that?

Ah , i didnā€™t know. Will look at it.
Just tried to find it, but didnā€™t found. Which one?
Perhaps you are talking on the one I opened ? If yes, why not. But the subject was specifically best 2020 albums.

Jazz Music Thread

I checked. In fact I have muted that one a long time ago because >90% of the posts concern jazz from the 60ā€™s.
I am more interested by nowadays jazz and new artists.
No problem, if no one post , I will close it.

Of course the Jazz Music Thread will only reflect the tastes of those that post on it.
I for one have regularly posted contemporary Jazz on that thread it just needs more like minded posters.
Its up to you of course, but dont you think it gets confusing having multiple threads on a similar subject? In my view surely more interesting to have a thread that reflects the broad spectrum of Jazz from King Oliver through to Nubya Garcia and beyond.
I tried to start a niche thread on Jazz Re:Freshed but it didnt work. As Gary Cosby of Tomorrows Warriors recently commented about not trying to play contemporary forward looking Jazz if you dont know your Charlie Parker.

Jazz Re:freshed for example has a policy of being open, inclusive and non elitist. Music should bring us togethor not divide us into pigeonholes controlled by Jazz police, no?

Now Iā€™ve read your post Iā€™ve deleted my earlier post.

Iā€™m sticking with the current Jazz thread.

Dave

2 Likes

Why? You made a good point in jest I believe.
For the reasons I opined I dont think its good to have divisive threads, I shall continue to support the existing Jazz thread.
Old to the new, each one teach one

2 Likes