Best bass in my collection: Genesis - The Lamb 1st UK press

Thanks I shall revisit. Wasn’t sure if you were alluding to specific instruments or bass in general.

I had a peek on amazon yesterday and got confused as some LP reissues didn’t seem to have all the tracks listed.

A Qobuz stream seemed to have several variants or remixes so wasn’t sure if these were additional songs remixed - I tend not to like albums which differ from the original tracklist on vinyl, but often happens when CDs might have had extra tracks originlly or regional differences in vinyl track order or content might have existed.

All boils down to me generally listening to albums through, so unexpected songs in an album I’m familiar with are annoying.

Same here. Very occasionally, such as with the extended version of Pink Floyd’s *Final Cut”, with the extra track When the tigers broke free, which I gather was omitted from the original LP for space reasons, it fits and becomes the new norm. Otherwise bonus tracks are rarely very interesting, often of course Originally being rejects. As I only stream from my own store I move any such tracks worth keeping into a different folder, creating a ‘bonus tracks’ album, leaving the main album unadulterated.

2 Likes

Good solution with a NAS.

Unfortunately more difficult with LPs as you have to physically skip tracks. I also find some re-releases a bit frustrating as you can lose the flow of songs formerly on one side together which might be now split over 2 discs or sides on 45 rpm releases for example. We can’t have it all ways I suppose.

With 45rpm LP sides must be only up to about 15min? A compromise for improving quality I suppose, but 3 sides instead of 2, 6 instead of 4… A consideration that contributes to the vinyl vs digital debate!

Absolutely. Sometimes 2 sides are split to 4 as well.

I think if you’ve had an old album and are used to the comntent of sid A or B playing through it can be a bit jarring have to flip after a few tracks to hear the rest of the original side A/B.

There is one album, I can’t recall right now, where there’s quite a dramatic change in tempo from say track 3 to 4, either gapless or with minimal gap, and you lose the effect completely as track 4 is now on the other side.

Suspect my SBLs are not up to resolving the deep bass on this track.

agreed, i don’t find the improvement if any of 45RPM or even heavy vinyl
my best lp’s are all regular old basic vintage pressings

and i hate getting up every 15 minutes, in fact i avoid playing those many times

1 Like

I’ve purchased many re-issues of favourite late 70’s/early 80’s albums and they really are a mixed bag.

Sadly many of my original LPs hark back to pre hi-fi days - in my teens I had a Fidelity record player possibly similar to this UA8 model - trying to remember if mine had a stereo tuner as well:

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 16.29.04

I suspect my habit of blu tacking a 2p piece to the headshell to stop certain LPs jumping did little to preserve the vinyl, but many of them still sound incredibly good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.