Best cd transport for Nds dac

Very nice! Thanks.

Dear @frenchrooster,
just my two cents…
apart from the well known Cyrus cd transports, I use a NuPrime cdt-8pro (with Chord Hugo TT2 dac), within a few months I would like to try and test the superior NuPrime cdt-10.

I tested the previously suggested Moon 260dt, and it’s very good indeed (but tested with Moon 280d streamer/dac).

Also Primare does a couple of cd (only) transports…

But all of these cd transports are far below your 6/7 k budget level…maybe Esoteric, EMM…?

Regards
David

1 Like

Schiit Audio has been developing a CD transport for some time now (to be called Schiit Urd); hopefully it will come out this year. Expected price $1299. Given their direct sale model and focus on optimising manufacturing costs, this should be pretty decent.

2 Likes

Thanks

Yes they are bellow. In fact I don’t search just a transport to put occasionally some cds, but achieve a sound better than my Nds/555dr/ ER/ linear ps/ Melco.
But in the meantime keep my Nds.
I am more on wondering, instead of ready to buy, if you get me.
AHT uses the Jay’s audio transport with Nd555 dac and finds it better vs Cd555.
I am just thinking for now…

1 Like

Seriously. They are basically calling it a turd? (Say “Schiit Urd” out loud).

3 Likes

Audiolab do their CDT transport that has been seriously well reviewed, Paul Rigby raved about it (just in case you wanted to google it). The most concerning thing about it is the price, which is alarmingly low compared to many options, but it’s certainly one I am thinking of giving a go to protect my investment in CD’s as less and less options are about.

2 Likes

Read that some have issues with it scratching their CDs.

that’s not good, one job to do…, hmm thanks for the heads up, that is the sort of thing you cannot unread, seeing as I buy spares of favourite CD’s that I don’t want to eat into them.

There’s a big thread over at Steve Hoffmans forum. Not sure how big the issue is but it’s good to have in mind.

If I can pay less, I take it. However, in general, you pay more and have more, unfortunately.

Agreed, I generally don’t like slot mech’s, much preferring the swing out on my CDX2-2 or the Starship Enterprise on the Apollo, just saw some rave reviews on the Audiolab and the price is a head turner, but as @Blackbird has pointed out, some scratching issues have been reported and you just don’t want to be that one that notices down the line.

I hadn’t heard of the Jay audio one, looks interesting.

1 Like

Hey FR,

Have you thought of an alternative to slot straight into your system:- Melco D100 ripper/CDplayer into your Melco N1ZH - which would need a USB DAC from the N1 to be a CDPlayer (or an AudioPhilleo/other USB/SPDIF into your NDS).

It’s a good idea T-elmi. I have not thought of that. However, I know that the D100 is a great cd ripper, but is it really a great cd transport?
And someone has tried?

You would have to search around for reviews (I read one online about N100/D100 recently, but I can’t think where). Pricing on the Melco D100 would be around EUR1,000.

Lots of postive feedback on the D100 (and some sceptics in this village from the DBPoweramp/NAS camp) as a ripper to Melco and to PC / NUC. I used a Buffalo DVD ripper when I had my N1ZH/2, i.e. from Buffalo who are the parent company to Melco, and it did nicely too.

[quote=“T-elmi, post:32, topic:14498”]are
SB is a good good guy and I thintq**bemphasized texte o kare I hthe in you avegood a hpwho eople othe to w of
Bit I a little m[/quoteI I can do ioat going you r t emorning arly tomoridea row morning if ]

The reviews are generally for the ripper. I have no doubt that it rips better than dbpoweramp. But as cd transport, vs some of the best available today, I don’t know.

Can you get a demo unit, or a ‘sale or return’ deal ?

No, and no one of the above choices unfortunately.

I have the 6000CDT into my Nova and it really is a superb performer. My son and I tried blind testing vs Qobuz (Miles Davis Kind of Blue) and we could not discern the two.
I do not play CDs often so can’t really comment on any scratching issue.

You would like to think that the D100 transport is fine, as surely it needs to be good for ripping and it does a great job at that, so playing a CD should be fine, yes?
I think the usb connection will have the biggest effect on sound, as most manufacturers say this can be a compromise dont they.

But for me i would want a CD transport that can handle SACD, if i was going back to CD’S again

1 Like