Best jokes

I guess the joke was intended to be that we are now led by a “Count” … however … “The word count came into English from the French comte , itself from Latin comes —in its accusative form comitem . It meant “companion” or “attendant”, and as a title it indicated that someone was delegated to represent the ruler.”

1 Like

7 Likes

Somebody had to, in the interests of standards and “forum decorum”.

5 Likes

I thought it was that we are led by a berk, in the rhyming slang sense of the word: namely (ahem) Berkeley Hunt.

(yes, that is, apparently, the origin of the word berk…)

5 Likes

@Beachcomber very good, probably better suited next Tuesday :joy:

2 Likes

I can’t remember which band did it, but I’m sure there’s a song called Who Put The … In Scunthorpe’.

2 Likes

I’ll leave those for others to speculate … :wink:

I don’t think many people pronounce country with the first syllable rhyming with clown. More likely to run with Hunt.
I really didn’t think that joke would elicit so many - erm - counters.

3 Likes

Out of this world :thinking: :wink:

My dodgy memory suggests that joke began when cricketer Ian Botham played football briefly for Scunthorpe United in the Eighties.

3 Likes

And there is a technical phrase, the Scunthorpe Problem, where swear filters block innocent words because of a string in them, it was named when an early service provider wouldn’t allow people from Scunthorpe to register email addresses.
My favourite example was from a very old Richard Thompson forum in which the word Sadoggie-dooay would appear for a day of the week.

4 Likes

Digressing somewhat, back in the 70s I was working as correspondence clerk for a Govt. minister.

The introduction of the new paper drivers’ licence with the first 5 letters of the surname as part of the licence no. generated a fair amount of anguished correspondence from those with the surname Penistone.

7 Likes

Well our cat is devastated coz this particular forum will not let her be referred to by her full (majestic) name, which is “Jacou Pixie P@rdo” ( replace @ with the first letter of the alphabet).

You can see just how upset she is….

…or perhaps not!

2 Likes

Spare a thought for those that live(d) in the various Gropecunt Lanes that exist(ed)

4 Likes

I used to know a lady who being ‘ampshire born and bred, used to “drop her H’s”.
Inevitably, I suppose, she married a Mike Hunt.

3 Likes

It’s like being seven all over again … love it.

1 Like

Why would that be? Googling suggests it’s a brand of yachts.

Her name is too unusual to be fairly revealed here, but a person I know attended a university where your username and email address was derived from the first three letters of your first name and the first four letters of your surname.

Pretty anodyne and innocent, right? The current UK PM would be rissuna@…, for example.

She, by contrast, was unhappy to find that her username was anustan@…

I think it was earlier than that…I recall a graffiti joke from around the late sixties/early seventies …if Typhoo put the the in Britain who put etc etc in Scunthorpe

6 Likes