Best Live Albums

Neil, TYVM. Good to know. I have the 1975 2-vinyl set. The second one it seems is from 1997, correct me if I’m wrong.
I also like live albums very much, and have many of your list.

Alive was 75, Alive II was 77. Hey, if it sells then repeat! Lol

Kiss were never shy that it was about making money.

I just tried the Fleetwood Mac Live album on Qobuz and agree that the SQ is pretty dire. Actually I only played the track Rhiannon, which is a favourite from FM. I remember seeing a clip of the band in concert on The Old Grey Whistle Test when I was a teenager, which featured Stevie Nicks in a diaphanous black dress at the front of the stage and a wind machine, the dress and her hair blowing in the wind. “Would you stay if she promised you heaven?” Dumb question, I was completely gone!

Sadly, I don’t think it’s the same version, but there is a fine live version of that song I found on the Fleetwood Mac Deluxe Edition, which is available on Qobuz.

Interesting. I listen to it and it just sounds like a band playing live. I’m wondering if this is a factor that it was recorded on analogue tapes and then digitally mastered?

I love the atmosphere of the album and also that you here the differences from the studio versions… There’s a bit where I think Chrissy Mcvie says she’s broken a string…

I think one of the things that I love about live albums is the rawness of it. The over produced live albums that are too good are often the weakest for me.

Thanks @Clive. Was that in hires or cd quality?

It was the HiRes version, Dave.

Just listening to my other Fleetwood Mac live album in HiRes.

Good atmosphere and SQ on this one too.
Runs second to the 1980 live double - great drumming by Mick Fleetwood as always.

1 Like

The pure emotion from Otis Redding at Monterey is spine tingling.
I always find myself stopping what I am doing and become completely absorbed in his performance - pure magic - what a talent.

The performance was also released with the Jimi Hendrix performance where he burned his guitar on stage.

5 Likes

Allman Bros live at Fillmore East
Lou Reed Rock’n Roll Animal
Rush Exit… Stage left
C,S,N&Y Four way street
Genesis Seconds out
Deep Purple Made in Japan
Pink Floyd Pulse
Yessongs
Bowie live at Tower Philadelphia
Grateful Dead Europe 72
UK Night after night

Who knows how many I’ve forgotten…

2 Likes

Surprisingly this one doesn’t seem to have been mentioned yet, Robin Trower Live.

10 Likes

Picking up on the SQ issues mentioned above in the Fleetwood Mac Live discussion.
I noticed a considerable difference in these two live albums from Eric Clapton.

Live in San Diego 2016 HiRes sounds good but is nowhere near as good as One More Car One More Rider:

The SQ and depth of the recordings on this album from 2002 are excellent.

4 Likes

An interesting mix from my collection:

image image

4 Likes

Steve Hillage has released numerous live albums, but Live Herald is hard to beat.

5 Likes

One more for.
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Pink Floyd - Pulse

1 Like

The mix on Made in Japan is pretty good, given that Ritchie and Ian both wanted “everything louder than everything else”.

It is one of my favourite live albums.

3 Likes

Bob at his peak in 1974 with support from The Band - Robbie Robertson’s guitar playing is outstanding.

Love to see this issued in full as part of the Bootleg Series

On Island records in the UK (back in the day)

11 Likes

Something to add to the mix

12 Likes

One of my all time favourite live albums- incredible.

1 Like

A few that don’t seem to have been mentioned (or I’ve missed them):

James Brown at the Apollo
Climax Bules Band FM Live
Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74 (this MUST have been mentioned …)
Patricia Barber Companion
McLaughlin/Lucia/Meola Live in San Francisco
Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere

2 Likes