Claude

4 Likes

The Guardian’s take on 10 of the best ever live albums:

I’ve got a couple!

Ooo… I’ve got three of those…

Yes, Anonymoot totally agree!!

I only have two. Live Rust and Nirvana

UFO Strangers in the Night

Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous if that qualifies as “live” given some of the studio remastering

1 Like

UFO SITN was the third album I ever bought, and my first heavy rock album. Little did I know what it was going to start. Still one of my go to albums, and definitely one of the best live albums ever.

In my top 5 live albums. Michael Schenker is a genius guitar player, probably my favourite.
Amazing how a heavy rock guitarist can be so melodic. Check out something more recent from MSG:

I like MSG stuff, although not as much as his work with UFO. I think there’s something about superstar guitarists needing to be in the limitations of a band. Another for instance is Joe Satriani. I think he is a fantastic guitarist whose best work has actually been when he was in Chickenfoot. The co-writing and being in the tight structure of a band with other big stars like Sammy Hagar, Chad Smith and Neil Anthony, meant he has to fit in more, be more disciplined. It feels like he’s more focused. Just my thoughts… :slight_smile:

Quite agree. A lot of the MSG stuff is a bit weak, salvaged mainly by Schenker’s guitar work. Performing live the best stuff is his earlier work from UFO, e.g. the Rock Bottom clip I posted. UFO were a different kettle of fish with a strong vocalist in Phil Mogg and a dynamic bass player in Pete Way R.I.P.

1 Like

X2 agree that MSG output is weaker in general than the UFO albums, although still interesting from a hard rock - guitar riffing point of view. And damn, I really need to get my hands on a few of them classic UFO albums as I only have them on 320CBR MP3s :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Agree! Most of the UFO albums are still around on CD. Picked up a few last year quite cheaply on Amazon.

There was a great UFO box set on Amazon with (I think) 8 of their early studio albums for a bargain price. Might be worth looking up.

The correct answer is OBVIOUSLY “Stop Making Sense” by Talking Heads. Impossible to sit still.

Something completely different - I love “The Köln Concert” by Keith Jarrett as well.

And then for raw dirty rock and roll “Stupidity” by Dr Feelgood.

And a hometown shoutout for the ever thrilling “Live at Leeds” by The Who

8 Likes

I shall hunt down a copy :+1:

6 Likes

Definitely worth it! Got it last year on CD.

3 Likes

Couple of samples… “She Does It Right” hurtles along in an amphetamine rush…

…and “Roxette” is not far behind it!

3 Likes

10 Likes

Yep, great live album - I have it on vinyl with the bonus live single of “Riot” and “Johnny B Goode”. Saw them in The National Stadium in Dublin in 1976 on that tour. They played an hour and Wilko was mesmerising.

Great memories!

Peter

2 Likes

My most favourite live album but it would be as I’m huge fan off heart and the wilson sisters

3 Likes