Best Live Albums

Only one.
The song remains the same, Led Zeppelin.

5 Likes

Just seen this, agree about Spunk Rock from Greasy Truckers, in fact the whole set on the 3 cd version is brilliant. There is also another live version from the same time, broadcast on Radio 1 that I was able to buy and copy and burn to cd from the “River” quite a few years ago.
Man were just about my favourite British band, I first saw them circa 1969 at the Boat Club in Nottingham and for the last time at the Old Vic, also in Nottingham in the early 2000s I think. Saw them loads in between including the Roundhouse with John Cippolina one Sunday afternnon.
Great band.

3 Likes

I much prefer the earlier ‘Once in a Lifetime’. A great live album which just builds and builds to a crescendo. Great live band.

It has to be this timeless classic…

4 Likes

Always enjoyed Elton John’s 17/11/70.

3 Likes

We were at the Cipollina gig, and you have me to thank for the show not being disrupted by my wife trying to get on stage and mob Deke! She still hasn’t forgiven me!

Depeche Mode - 101
Jonny Cash at Folsom Prison
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
Crowded House - Farewell to the World
U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

It has to be the original release with the edits and overdubs for me. Whilst the additional tunes on the rerelease are nice, I much prefer the original release for its version of Dazed and Confused.

4 Likes

Hi Clive,
Yes, there are many differences between the 1976 original and the 2007 rerelease in both film and album.
Try the 2018 Blu-ray dvd, magic. (my neighbours love it too !!) I was lucky enough to see them live at Knebwowth in ‘79, an unforgettable experience.

Which album is this? Thanks

The song remains the same, originally released on vinyl and rereleased in 2007 (CD). A new box set including vinyl,CD, and DVD was released in 2018

Really glad you did hold her back. If you could just remind me who the supports were that time - my memory tells me Barry Melton and A Band Called O.
I saw Man within the the next 18 months or so outdoors at Hatfield when the O Band also supported.
Regards

The versions of “No Quarter” and “WLL” are far better too.

1 Like

Melton rings a bell, but as we were almost certainly stoned inside-out, the memory’s a bit porous!

You have to wonder what led Percy to yell “Hangman” in the middle of WLL! Thankfully that was edited out in the first release.

1 Like

Xavier Rudd live in The Netherlands.

& @TheKevster … Am I committing heresy by saying I much prefer “Celebration Day” as a Zeppelin live album? I know it’s not from their heyday, but I thought they nailed it that evening. Wish I’d been there.

4 Likes

Celebration Day is excellent imho. I have it on my Sky Box and watch it often. I applied for tickets along with the other 20 odd million. Quite remarkable how all the winning tickets appeared to be the " Great and the Good". Never mind!!!

1 Like

I’ve got the Blu-ray/CD set… Love it! Have to say the understated star of the show as ever. JPJ… His work on Trampled Underfoot and No Quarter plus normal bass work is wonderful.

4 Likes

This is an amazing live album, BUT, if you have a decent 5.1 system get the Blu-ray, set the audio on the blurry to 5.1 and let it rip. The combination of the music and visuals is stunning.

6 Likes