Best Live Albums

Lucinda Williams, live at the fillmore.

1 Like

Man, maximum darkness.
One of my faves. Too much has been made of John Cippolina’s contribution on this album to the detriment of Micky Jones and Deke Leonard. To appreciate what these 2 guys were capable of in tandem, check out the 22 minute version of Spunk Rock on the Greasy Truckers Party live album. This is the edited version (no-one seems to know how long it actually lasted on that night in Feb 1972).

1 Like

Hi man2wolf, love to get a copy of greasy truckers, saw said line up at b/ham town hall he was just window dressing ( no disrespect to him) if memory serves man had just toured the US and had talked him into coming back to the UK , It was clear he didn’t know any of the numbers, most of his playing was removed from the recording. love’ many are called ’ terry Williams was/is a great drummer . be good to your self. neil.

lemans3
Good morning, just finished breakfast (I like to eat bananas…)
I have 3 versions of the Greasy Truckers Spunk Rock track:

1. The original Greasy Truckers Party double vinyl from 1972 (United Artists UDX 203/4). This isn’t the full concert and has just 2 Man tracks - Spunk Rock and Angel Easy.

2. The Greasy Truckers Party reissue on triple CD from 2007 (still available as far as I know). This is the full concert with 5 Man tracks - Spunk Rock, Angel Easy, Many Are Called But Few Get Up, Bananas (early instrumental version) and Romain. This seems to have been re-mixed into a rather muddy sound with the guitars way down in the mix (unless these are the originals and the vinyl had been improved)

3. A live compilation cd called Man Alive from 2003 (Recall/Snapper SMDCD478). Contains the mix from the original vinyl recording.

Agree about Terry Williams being a great drummer - his machine gun ending to “Many are called…” is mesmerising. Terry went on to make a good living with Dire Straits of course.

You may be interested in this performance from OGWT from 1975

2 Likes

Hi man2wolf, thanks for that, brought a tear to my eyes to see micky & dek again, RIP. I’am vinyl only so I will have to keep an eye out for 2nd hand copies . I haven’t had any bananas for years, which reminds me of a story of the rhinos gig at the town hall the mixing desk crew and my mates & I sharing some bananas. still got my man posters in the loft, last time I saw man live was at Lichfield arts centre ,god we were all so much older . never says nups. neil

commander cody & his lost planet airmen: we’ve got a live one here!

2 Likes

Many hard decisions, if it can be only one per category:

Pop: Sting - Bring on the night
Jazz: Pat Metheny - Travels
Classics: Bruckner 8. Günter Wand/NDR Symphony

2 Likes

4 Likes

16 Likes

Limiting it to one per band (otherwise this’d be drowned in Grateful Dead, Tangerine Dream, Neil Young et al.

Grateful Dead - Live Dead
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus (parts overdubbed in the studio)
Tangerine Dream - Logos (I have my suspicions)
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine ( All vocals studio add-ons, the expanded edition is awesome though)
The Who - Live At Leeds
John Martyn - Live At Leeds (though mostly not Leeds)
Radio Massacre International - Knutsford In May (TD influenced at Jodrell Bank)
Gov’t Mule - Live…With A Little Help From Our Friends
moe. - L (a stonking recommendation from here re: Jam Bands)
Neil Young - Arc (sorry, but Weld is out!)
Black Sabbath - The End (mostly for sentiment’s sake)
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails (though part-way through Calvary it switches to studio)

1 Like

ELP’s Pictures at ab Exhibition and Welcome Back My Friends are outstanding live albums and it is good to see them get a mention. Neither is self indulgent, just great music. I also like Made in Japan and Concerto for Group & Orchestra by Deep Purple.

One often overlooked is Chas & Dave’s Live at Abbey Road which contains the outstanding guitar picking of Mr Albert Lee.

And live sets don’t come much better than the 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set (also known as The Road)

Colosseum Live is another firm favourite.

Shirley & Dolly Collins Harking Back is great if you can find a copy.

However, perhaps one of my most played live albums is

Kevin Ayers, Brian Eno, John Cale & Nico - June 1, 1974.

John Martyn Live at Leeds. Recorded on his own label and limited edition vinyl was for sale at the gig. John and his wife Beverley then sent them out to those who purchased from their home. My father was one of them and, due to a slight delay in John and Beverley getting it out the door, John wrote a note on the back of the sleeve. It’s rather lovely.

14 Likes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall

I only got this today and have played it only once but it is sensational! The cover says they were on fire that night and they were indeed. Great feel to it – it builds in drive and verve as the concert goes on and the recording makes you feel like you are in the 5th row. This is a real discovery and I reckon I will be playing this a lot more. Far out!

17 Likes

Dr Feelgood “Stupidity”

6 Likes

Don’t think anyone has mentioned this gem yet. Soundgarden “Live on 1-5” is top notch stuff and one of my faves.

1 Like

Great choice there @SJT, it really is a fine album and a firm favourite. I am indebted to a recommendation from @Debs on the old forum for my purchase.

2 Likes

Yes it is great - I am playing it now. I have someone on Facebook to thank - they posted it last week and I thought I would give it a go but now I can’t find the post to put a comment to say thanks. Another thing that I like about the record is that the band seem to be having a great time as well!

1 Like

Sonny Landreth: " Recorded Live in Lafayette"

SL Live in Lafayette

Fantastic blues album with fantastic sound quality, and one I prefer to any of his studio albums.

A 24bit/44.1kHz recording I purchased and downloaded a year or two ago - can’t remember where from.

4 Likes

some classics-
Cream -live 1969
Ten years after- live at the fillmore east 1970
Colosseum-live
The who- live at LEEDS
Led Zeppelin-tha song remain the same
Camel-live record
Rainbow-live in Munich
Stevie Ray Vaughan- live alive
Barclay James Harvest-live tapes
Deep Purple-made in Japan
Buddy Guy live- The real deal
Eric Clapton- Just one night
Jimi Hendrix- Isle of Wight
Jeff Beck- live at Ronnie Scott’s
Santana- The Woodstock Experience
Enjoy!!

3 Likes

It’s a fantastic feeling when you discover “new” recordings.
By the way,
After listening to track number 10 on the record, called CASTILLIAN DRUMS, one can only guess where John Bonham fathered the idea for his drum solo so called Moby D…

1 Like