Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

I prefer to call modern jazz vs jazz fusion or jazz rock or contemporary jazz, because a lot of jazz rock albums are too commercial or sirupy, or also to demonstrative technically, but without soul or creativity.

So i invite to share the best albums in modern jazz , which are innovative, rich, creative and inspired.

From 1969: Miles Davis / in a silent way and Bitches Brew

7 Likes

1970: Joe Henderson / Power to the people

Alice Coltrane / Pta, the El Daoud

4 Likes

1971:

Herbie Hancock / crossings

Mahavishnu orchestra/. Inner Mounting Flame

Birds of Fire

5 Likes

1973: great year!

Notes

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios.
Recorded October 31 & November 1, 1973.

2 Likes

1974:

Notes

Recorded May 30, 1974 at Carnegie Hall, New York, NY. Digitally mastered at Sony Music Studios, NYC.

image image

3 Likes

1972:

1 Like

1970:

Notes

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios. Recorded January 27, 28, 29, 1970.
Hubtones Music/BMI

(1971)

2 Likes

Gil Scott Heron :

image image

1 Like

1975:

1 Like

1976:

image image

1 Like

1977:

1 Like

1976, to follow:

Interesting idea but not easy to respond as I’m vague about recording dates. But here’s one from 1972(?).

1 Like

Wow - great new thread, FR.
What a superb list of LPs.
Thank you so much for this.
You have reset my listening horizon for the next year!
Bitches Brew broke the mould.
You list some of my favourite LPs - Birds of Fire, Spectrum, Agharta, Get up with It, Dark Magus, The Inner Mounting Flame, In a Silent Way.
This was an amazing burst of musical creation - all the LPs you cite would have influenced those that came after them, and many of the musicians knew one another and played together.
Many of these LPs I’ve never heard, and a few I’ve never heard of, so these are all going on my listening list.
(Jeff Back I stopped listening to in about 1981, but I’ll check him out again to see if how it sounds nowadays.)
cheers
Jim

1 Like

2 Likes

69:
A1 Peaches En Regalia

Drums – Ron SelicoElectric Bass – Shuggy Otis* 3:58
A2 Willie The Pimp
Drums – John GuerinElectric Bass – Max BennettLyrics By – Frank ZappaViolin [Electric] – Sugar Cane HarrisVocals – Captain Beefheart 9:25
A3 Son Of Mr. Green Genes
Drums – Paul HumphreyElectric Bass – Max Bennett 8:58
B1 Little Umbrellas
Drums – John GuerinElectric Bass – Max Bennett 3:09
B2 The Gumbo Variations
Drums – Paul HumphreyElectric Bass – Max BennettViolin [Electric] – Sugar Cane Harris
12:55
B3 It Must Be A Camel
Drums – John GuerinElectric Bass – Max BennettViolin [Electric] – Jean-Luc Ponty 5:15

2 Likes

1976:

Version 2 will be soon released

5 Likes

good choice too! i like specially his albums between 1973 and 1975 with george duke and jean luc ponty.

mino cinelu is french, he was discovered after by miles in the 80’s. However Gong is more rock , not?