Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

some jazz trios selection i like:

https://youtu.be/TXxu85FvtiA. manu katche/ neighborhood

1 Like

the first is Manu Katche/ neighborhood

1 Like

new album from Erik Truffaz. Some nice tracks.

2 Likes

Lounge is normally not for me but somehow Erik Truffaz always makes me listen.
Maybe because it is more jazz than lounge.

itā€™s not the best from Truffaz but definitely jazz. Itā€™s just the tittle.

1 Like

But the sound of the album has a lounge vibe I would say.

It has been released in 1959 but itā€™s one of my favoriteimage

7 Likes

very good album, hirez qobuz. I feel you will like the other tracks @JimDog. Bass/ piano / drums, and very well recorded.

3 Likes

Yes, good track.
Joey Baron is a great drummer.
I was listen8ng him play on a Jakob Bro LP this morning.
He even played with John Zorn in Naked City.
Which reminds me:

Spillane by John Zorn is a great LP.
Not for everyone
It begins with a screamā€¦

Blues genius of Albert Collins meets jazz genius of John Zorn

Cheers
Jim

2 Likes

Ha ok FR I found a Miles Davis doco

Itā€™s actually quite a good documentary called The Miles Davis Story

It has talking heads of many of the most important people in his life - some of his wives and the mothers of his kids, his girlfriends, and many of the greatest musicians he played with inc Corea, Bill Evans, Hancock, McLaughlin, DeJonette, Scofield, etc, plus short clips of many wonderful gigs and sessions - inc even a reunion gig in Paris in IIRC 1991ā€¦

The only snag is that the film is sliced up, perhaps for copyright reasons, into many 4 min clips, and the clips are in sjumbled order so roughly in chronological order but messed upā€¦

My advice is if you watch that jumbled version then make sure you see it in one long session as itā€™s very hard to find your place in it again later

Just watched it with mrs jimdog and it was a great way to get to know the man behind the music.

there is the whole film on his life here. I had watched it maybe 2 years ago. Interesting.
I will watch your youtube post later, now watching a movieā€¦

Yes, I saw that - looked more like a docu-drama than a documentary.
But will check it out too.

One moment in the documentary that struck me was when Chick Corea says that Miles just never accepted the norms of any social situation he was in, and that was part of how he never stopped creating new styles of music.

And Miles himself says in it that he always surrounded himself by people who were like this - and he did a pushing movement with his hand - and he said something like that he didnā€™t like the people who would settleā€¦

cheers
Jim

1 Like

this is a great videoā€¦

and seems to be captured on this LP:

2 Likes

Recently found a good LP by the Wolfgang Muthspiel Trio.
Bright side from 2005.
Very well recorded and tight play, with a light overall tonality but also a sense of depth of musical purpose, if that makes senseā€¦

I discovered myself the new album of Roberto Fonseca. Like it , hires from Qobuz.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.