Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

Tod Gustavsen trio and EST are very near in the type of music, not?

Yes, quite similar in tone and style.

1 Like

No I think they are very very different. Tord is about nice melodies, quiet music, sometimes spare notes.
E.s.t. Is about intense flow, use of electronic distortion, taking it to the edge - almost electronic sometimesā€¦

5 Likes

Yes, after Iā€™d written that about the two trios being quite similar I thought of all the differences between them.

But they are similar to one another in tone and style than they are to Dire Straits or Queen or Bruce Spingsteen!

1 Like

hey Jim, listen to that

Wow - he is a master guitarist.
I donā€™t know his stuff at all, but will have a good look at it.
Thanks
Jim

1 Like

itā€™s the music of miles in the 70ā€™s. Pete Cosey was the guitarist on Agharta and other albums. Henry Kaiser made some albums called Yo Miles.

Yes, thereā€™s lots of his music on Tidal.
Just listening to The Deep Unreal.
Reminds me of the all guitar LPs by Robert Fripp and Andy Summers.
With a touch of John Martyn.

1 Like

Yo Miles, Sky Garden, Yo Miles/ Up river are my favorite. The discography is huge, some albums are a bit on the LSD side, if you understand me. But i donā€™t know them all.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ve saved those two.
Is there a really good documentary on Miles that you know of?

i have read very interesting books on him , and one by him. But donā€™t remember documentary nowā€¦but tired and go to bed. To continueā€¦

Hey Bert thanks for flagging this album up.

I had once or twice dipped into it before and watched some est live vids on YouTube, but Iā€™d never Til now listened to this LP right thru.

It is superb.

:beers:
Jim

Yes, you kindly added pictures of those books above.
I hope to one day read his bookā€¦

Do you think he was as good as Mozart?

strange question Jim. One thing i can respond : i never listen to Mozart.
Both are genius.

I agree. Closer to EST in style is NAIM records own ;
https://naim.bleepstores.com/
Highly recommended.

Marcin Wasilewski trio. The trio which played on Manu Katche albums.
You will tell me @BertBird or @Peet or @JimDog if itā€™s closer to EST or Todd G.

I donā€™t like so much to put things in buckets. But I think this wonderful trio has different interesting ingredients. Nice and lyrical melodies, tight rhythm section. Somewhere between fully written down music and fully free music. They are definitely belonging to one of my favorite jazz ensembles.

2 Likes

These guys have created a couple of very interesting albums, this one got me hooked to them

1 Like

Listening once again to that amazing LP New Hymn to Freedom by Szun Waves.

Brilliant jamming, swirling vortices of soundā€¦

Just listened to Small Talk on this LP and itā€™s great.
Thanks
J