Best ripping cd software/app

Just downloaded dBPoweramp (trial) and tried to rip cd’s, it takes an age to rip, it’s all distorted (totally un listenable) and next to each track it will say something like “inaccurate 93”. What am i doing wrong ?

Hi, what drive are you using?

Don’t think the drive is compatible with dBPoweramp some reason. It’s just a drive i bought off Amazon a year ago, but it works absolutely fine with other software i have on the mac.

In addition to Neilb1906’s question above, did you follow the dBpoweramp setup guide to configure the (recommended) secure ripping or did you leave it at the default burst mode?

The result you are getting is that something is failing and the created rips are broken. The “inaccurate 93” means that dBp compared your ripping result with the result of other rips of the same CD by other people, and all the existing other 93 results are different from yours, so yours is broken.

The dBp setup guide also includes tests of the CD drive.

https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

I am using EZ CD audio converter formely named as CD DA extractor for many years :grinning:

Does this work on the mac ? I was hoping dBPoweramp would be straight forward as just choose your audio format then rip cd to your music library, but it’s just not working for me. I’m not too savvy on these things.

dBp usually also works on the Mac. It may have an issue with your specific drive, and if you are lucky, the EZ CD audio converter happens to work out of the box; or it might run into an issue with this drive as well. You can only try.

As @Suedkiez says, dbpoweramp should work a breeze on Mac without any changes of settings. It does on mine.
I can only deduce its your optical drive that is causing a problem. Really cheap ones are a false economy.
I got an HP USB one from the river, been faultless.

Yeah I got a USB one from Dell, I think they only sell this one. I ripped 800 CDs with it and dBp so far (in Windows though), working flawlessly and supports all the advanced error checking that dBp wants to do for secure ripping. Cost like 60 euros or something

When i put a disc in it asks me if i won’t to import it to my music library and it does it perfectly there. It just doesn’t seem to work with dBPoweramp even after altering some settings. The album artwork comes up great with numerous selections to choose from…what a shame.

You need to set windows to do nothing when a disc is inserted. Then open DBpa and it should read from the drive straight away.

Settings/devices/autoplay…
Set to do nothing.

1 Like

Okay, something weird is going on here, it seems to be working now, but not with all discs and i know these discs are perfectly all right. But now i seem to be getting there now even if it is slowly. Can someone tell me is apple lossless the same as ALAC which is the equivalent to Flac ?

Apple lossless is ALAC. It’s not the same as FLAC but both are lossless formats. The batch converter that is bundled with dbpoweramp could convert one to the other if necessary.

I believe it is only for Windows…

Well i’ve got to admit i’m a little confused, when i use dBPoweramp and rip it in ALAC but when i look in the music folder it say it’s m4a or MPEG-4A. But when i transfer it to a USB stick and put it in the NDX2 or the Cambridge CNX V2 it says it’s ALAC.

ALAC is usually stored in an MP4 (MPEG-4A) container and uses the filename extension .m4a.

Did you try to compare between ALAC to FLAC in terms of sound?

One of the things I like about ALAC over FLAC is that the album art seems to be embedded in every track rather than in one jpg contained in an associated folder. It doesn’t seem to make any difference to the way album art displays on my Nova, only in the way the file appears on my computer.

Yo can embed album art into flac files as well. dBp has both options

As i understand ALAC is apples version FLAC in that they are identical. I have compared FLAC to WAV using Focal Utopia headphones with a Astell & Kern SP1000 DAP and as much as i tried to hear if i could hear a difference… i couldn’t. And you can’t get much of a better test than that.

1 Like