Best ripping cd software/app

If so it’s better to rip everything to Flac,at least you get more place on your hard-disk

Yes, or ALAC and as I understand they both take about half as much data than WAV.

1 Like

Is dBPoweramp transferrable ? Meaning like if my computer broke down would i be able to transfer it to a new one ? And would you only be able to transfer to a mac to a mac and windows to windows ?

Yes, once you buy DBpoweramp then you can use it on a new Mac should your old one break. Just make sure you keep your purchase email. IIRC though it’s not transferrable across platforms. DBpoweramp have an FAQ that should explain things in detail for you.

1 Like

dBpoweramp has a licence that covers both platforms called ‘Family Pack’ in addition to the single platforms & it includes
Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7 / Vista and Apple OS X El Capitan or newer.

Mike, that’s great news, if so. When I asked a few years back I was told that a Windows license couldn’t be used for a Mac and vice versa.

1 Like

1 Like

It is possible you tried to rip copy protected albums, which sound exactly as you described it. The ones I have that fail to rip are all 90’s Warner albums, eg Sound track to Blade Runner. Otherwise Asset on a mac is great and works as advertised.

Ironically it was the first two cd’s i picked up that wouldn’t rip properly, well they did rip but were just distorted when i played them back and they were on the Rhino (Warner Bros) label. But they have ripped before, either through windows or on the mac, it’s just dBPoweramp wasn’t having any of it. I’ve ripped some cd’s today and were supposed to be in the music folder, but i can’t see them in there and i don’t know where they have gone…outer space probably. Some cd’s have gone as tracks instead of in a folder in the music library,… i’m banging my head here.

All the WEA albums I have don’t rip with any software I have available, that was Apple Music, Asset, Audacity, XLD. All saved tracks that looked ok, but all distorted when actually played.

What I do is rip files to a desktop folder so I can find them! Then if necessary right click over file and edit metadata using dBpower, which should come up when you right click. You need to make sure album titles and artisit’s names are correct as sometimes they are mistyped or missing. This may help you??

1 Like

Apart from a couple of copy-protected and obviously damaged ones I’ve never had an issue with ripping using dBPoweramp.

I set the pathname to rip straight to my Asset music folder on the NAS. If the metadata is correct in dBP then there’s nothing further to do.

Strangely enough the ripper I have had most joy with when trying to rip a protected disc is Windows Media Player.
I rip mine on to an external drive, perform any metadata edits there and then transfer to the NAS. That way I already have a backup.

So far I have just two or three discs that just won’t rip, they are all WEA. But it could also be to do with the USB powered CD writer I use, until I try another drive I can’t eliminate that as a possible cause.

The dBPoweramp is not perfect, i’ve had a few where i’m getting completely different art cover to the disc, not even the same artist/group and even the tracks are incorrect.

dBp just searches the internet. If the default is not good, just click the “search internet” menu entry for the cover art and choose another one. Or if this fails as well, download one in the browser and tell dBp to use this one. Yes, can be a hassle for some albums.

Have you tried checking the ‘Defective by design’ box in dbPoweramp settings for those discs?

1 Like

Yes I have, and still no luck unfortunately.

I wonder if someone could tell why is it when i’ve ripped a load of compilation albums it’s ripped each track as a folder, not a track in a folder of the album ? So everything in the music library is just a mixed up jumbled mess and i think it’s going to take an age to sort it out. Why has it all of a sudden decided to this ?

Never seen that. What was the metadata of these albums? If you set the album artist to Various Artists before ripping, it should put the whole album into the Various Artists folder, within its own folder by the album name.

You seem to have more than the average problems with dBp, it works as is straight out the box for most CD’s
Did you check & verify the metadata & other parameters before you ripped?
I ripped a load of compilation CDs to MP3 for my granddaughter only a few months ago, all OK & only a few minor adjustments to metadata to some of the featured artists

1 Like