Beyond Nightwish

Thanks

It seems I am rapidly coming to agree with you…! Given that Aryen writes& produces nearly all the material, he is - potentially - up there with Tuomas from Nightwish. Near Musical Genius.

@suzywong - I am impressed with your knowledge on things Prog & Metal… :sunglasses:

I can only try to catch up…

2 Likes

That’s because I am indeed a boring old fart!

1 Like

Ayreon do Marillion’ greatest hit… with Fish… No problem…!!

1 Like

Finally, some Nightwish love!

There was a thread a few months ago about the best female vocalists. I must have been only one among hundreds of replies to mention Floor.

Nice to see some alternatives too. Great thread!

3 Likes

Its not lacking… just well hidden… !!!

Thank you… :smiley:

I love NW to bits. And Auri. Looking for more/similar/related.

Have now got both Ayreom and Edenbridge on order. Likely to be going after Midnattsol. Maybe also Leaves Eyes and Avantasia…

Warning… This path is dangerous…!!
There are Castles, Dragons & Demons… And people with pointy guitars with extra strings - with keyboard players who know their Moogs and Mellotrons… :astonished:
As well as Time Signatures way beyond 4:4 time - with Drummers who think this is easy…
Warning. Go no further… There is no cure.

Haha. I love Auri too.

I come from opera and classical music. I discovered Floor and Nightwish through the YouTube channel of an opera singer I follow. I was blown away by Floor’s outstanding vocal technique. That’s when I started to go down the rabbit hole. Very dangerous indeed.

2 Likes

She is - I think - out in a field of her own, here. Not found anyone to really come close. Some can go high/Operatic (say Tarja) - others can do the Musical Theatre/Rock (say Annette) - and others the Metal growls and gruffness. But all 3 …?

If you like Classical, then Prog is the way for you to head, IMO… Lots of 70’s stuff - Genesis, ELP, Yes, etc. And there is modern Prog - lots there too, but I don’t know about it much… yet…

2 Likes

The Charismatic Voice by any chance?

1 Like

If you dragons etc try Gloryhammer they’re a real hoot

1 Like

Ok, so how did I find Nightwish…?

From Thin Lizzy, I was looking/listening (on YouTube) to some Garry Moore stuff… And I found what I thought was a cover of the Led Zepellin song - Over The Hills & Far Away. Wrong… Totally different - but good. Then YouTube - as it does… ‘fed’ me another version, by a German Hurdy Gurdy player, called Patty Gurdy (she’s good - she can be found on one of Ayreons albums…).

With me so far…? So, the Patty Gurdy version was listed as being a song, not by Garry Moore - but (incorrectly) by a band called Nightwish… So I went to the Nightwish version - with Tarja in fully operatic mode… OMG…! I think I then found their cover of High Hopes…

The rest… you can guess… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yes!
It was a reaction video to the Wacken Ghost Love Score.

2 Likes

You are very far from alone, there… :smiley:

I still sometimes watch these reaction vids on YouTube - just to see the absolute amazement of the ‘pro’ Singer/coach, as Floor skips through her range - and then at the end, just goes higher & higher…

I need to check this out over the weekend. Just heading to bed after an Airbag session and tody :tumbler_glass:

So… the journey continues…

As I understand it, Star One, is a Heavy Metal offshoot of Ayreon, sort of… :thinking:

Had a look and found some live tracks from 2003.

Nightwish fans - here is Star One, featuring both of the Jansen sisters (that’s Floor & Irene) on vocals.

1 Like

I personally prefer the earlier Avantasia albums, The Metal Opera Pt 1 and 2, the Scarecrow

Again much like Ayreon they are a metal supergroup.

Try this one for size… all 11 minutes of it!

Avantasia - The Scarecrow

2 Likes

Avantasia are on my list… Just a bit further down… :thinking:

This - is awesome. I had to re-find it - the Guitar & Keyboard solos had become Ear Worms - and I couldn’t find the track…

Here it is. Skip to about +5 minutes for the Solos.
Ayreon - Amazing Flight - live (originally from Into The Electric Castle).

2 Likes

Well… Royal Mail did not deliver to me, on Saturday or Monday, so - today - I get 3 CD’s arrive, all together - 2 of these are 2 CD sets…!! These were:

Edenbridge - The Bonding
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Ayreon - 01011001

So… time for some Symphonic/Prog/Metal… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I. Must. Not. Order. Any. More…

3 Likes