Bi-amping with Supernait 2 plus Hi-CAP PSU and NAP250 DR

Yes, well, I understand that it may be enough depending on the room dimensions; but mine has 45 square meters and almost 150 cubic meters, and at the time of failure by excess current between 85dB and 90 dB, measured with the sonometer. Besides, it doesn’t seem normal enough that “all or nothing” performance mode that from 10-11 o’clock dies and, or goes into clipping, or activates the protection by “excess current”…

Cheers.

1 Like

Too much room, probably not enough speakers or amp.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think that this is actually about that, in which case not enough amplification, because with the 420 W of the Exposure combo the speakers sounded good in volume, although not in SQ.

Cheers.

At the start of this thread it was pointed out that your speakers needed better amps…

1 Like

Yes, I know, @Svetty; but I think it is more related with power than with SQ.

Cheers.

If you want power over SQ just buy a Marshall Stack!

I have a SN2 in an open plan lounge/dining/kitchen around 90 sqm and it’s fine.

1 Like

Man, it’s not about that either; not one thing, not the other, but both in a balanced way.

Different options at this point, hot and from more to less radical:

• Talk to the dealer and force the switch to ATC SIA2-150 (not knowing if the system will lose PRAT and boogie or could improve).

• Wait to complete the running in period and rate then:

• Switch to ATC SIA2-150.

• Adding NAP 250 DR in biamp mode.

I don’t know what it could deserve you…

18 grand speakers on the end of a Supernait…?

For coat, no knickers!

1 Like

There might be something in that!

I thought I’d cleared that up the top…

Speakers are “the speakers”, perfect with placement and room modes, and they will stay, they are a must keeping; therefore, it is only a matter of finding the right amplification for them and for the site where it is to be located.

At least I have successfully resolved the source matter… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers.

Trade the SN for at least 282/250 or ideally a 300.

I adhere here to @Blackbird’s opinion: wats are wats, and, satisfied by the SN3 SQ, and magic aside, I don’t see what can contribute the same, or similar, NAP 250 DR’s 80W, or 300 DR’s 90W, instead of the SN3’s 80W.

If it were an awkward SQ matter, you would be absolutely right; I have no doubt that NAC 282, or 252, with NAP 250 DR, or NAP 300 DR, are able to take SQ forward. But it’s not a SQ matter, with which I’m satisfied, but of a very large room with very high ceilings, in which 80W or 90W, let’s put on as we are, they have it very complicated to raise the SPL above 85dB-90dB.

What I need is not greater SQ, but the same SQ with higher power; and I think I’ll finally choose to add the NAP 250 DR to biamp the speakers. Thus, finally, it will not be 130W but 260W, in the tolerance range of the speakers, which according to Stewart Tyler, its creator, eat the current you give them and work superbly biamplified.

This will also be one of the few biamplification experiences with Naim in the forum; I’ll tell you…

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear the outcomes, as bi-amping with a 250DR is an option for me too.

1 Like

Take it for granted, Mike, of course, if I finally decide it, or when I finally decide it; for now we have to recover the bag, which is stiff.

Cheers.

Say what?

Indeed and there is where there is a problem. To resolve requires a 282/252/300 as a minimum, probably 500 series would be more appropriate.

Doing the amp properly will then expose the NDX2 as needing an upgrade as stand alone it will out of its depth in a system of this level, queue a 555ps which may be sufficient, if not an ND555 follows.

All for retaining a pair of speakers completely unsuitable for the system.

No offence intended @newcomer, you aren’t the first and won’t be the last.

Some simply cannot be told, because they know that watts are watts. One wonders why they ask and then ignore those who know that watts are not necessarily watts. But they know best so it’s easiest just to let them get on with it.

5 Likes

Let’s see now: that our pocket, our wallet, our savings, have been quite lazy and we have to recover a little bit.

1 Like