Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Terrible, am against polluting rivers :grin:

1 Like

The cormorant was definitely saying something while discharging but to my ears it sounded more like defiance than an apology…

1 Like

We were coming back from the mid north coast
(NSW) today and stopped for lunch in a small town. The locals were amazed that the police had closed both sides of the Pacific Motor Way (it’s a major 4 lane highway between Sydney and Brisbane) this morning to allow a family of ducks cross. Seems there is hope for humanity.

3 Likes

Hi Pete, agree, may still be some hope!
Just hope most people had your view in the stopped traffic.

We didn’t see it we were told by some locals while having lunch. Although I’ve seen Pennant Hills Rd a huge main road in Sydney come to a standstill to let then cross.

1 Like

Who is going to get the sunny corner?

3 Likes

Follow the leader

Imgur

Unfortunately, they were flying away from me and not parallel to the camera so it was impossible to capture them all in full focus.

5 Likes

Great day for birds yesterday, despite the dreadful, damp, foggy weather! Saw Crossbills, Fieldfares, Redwings, Siskins, Chaffinches, Goldcrests and best of all, a Crested Tit. Only managed to capture a couple of Redwings on camera though.

Cheers,

Ian

8 Likes

Fieldfares. I think.

4 Likes

Recent trip to Leighton Moss RSPB reserve Lancashire. Great views of Bittern, Marsh Harriers and Bearded Tit. Only photo is of the Greater Eric Morecambe in silhouette.
4472689_0effd14a

4 Likes

Golden Eagle, from a mountain top in Assynt, NW Highlands.

Cheers,

Ian

4 Likes

Realised I uploaded the lower resolution photo initially - now corrected.

Mr. Plover shows up every afternoon at the same spot, only for ten minutes or so.

8 Likes

Found the remains of a goldfinch nest under the apple tree. Didn’t think they’d nested in there this year, but I must have been mistaken.

3 Likes

Delayed

The Crane is well aware of the floating ice on the river. I wonder what made her linger for so long up north.

3 Likes

Got one of these in the garden the other day, pic is through the window.

Tim

15 Likes

The ice skater

The unfrozen lanes are created by the beavers swimming.

4 Likes

I learned an interesting thing about woodpeckers on tv recently. Apparently were it not for a special eyelid the pecking would cause their eyes to pop out. Well that may or may not be true, but the nictitating membrane protects and moistens the eye during hazardous activities. In primates they are vestigial now.

Phil

1 Like

Waxwings are finally here, just as the weather takes a noticeable turn towards freezing. Strangely though, I saw a Swallow this morning which is quite unusual for these latitudes at this time of the year. Having said that, we had a very mild winter a few years back and there were Swallows still about in December! The Red Kite is nearly sharp - but then, he was flying very fast. We also have a Water Rail on our SUDS pond. Saw him clearly yesterday in the binoculars but not managed to get a photo.

Cheers,

Ian

14 Likes

Interested in the Swallows, where abouts are you please.