Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

We get/have Egrets across the road…

9 Likes

They finally found their place.

2 Likes

Our feeders are full and yet our temps are mild so your local birds must be desperate given the current USA weather conditions…
keep up the good work Haim

1 Like

Great spotted woodpecker on our fat ball feeder. Beautiful bird.

13 Likes

Brent Geese on Nairn beach.

Cheers,

Ian

6 Likes

It’s been months since I’ve been out with camera on my own. Took the opportunity of a break in the weather earlier to go and have a mooch, nothing particularly spesh to begin with, though the garden birds were posing nicely, in the expectation I’d have something nice for them. False hopes on their part I’m afraid…

Stopped to watch a Heron fishing for a while and then noticed a Jay bobbing about in the trees a bit further downstream, picking some tasty morsels out for lunch. Tricky to get a clear shot but then it decided to come down and have a drink, which was nice :grinning:

Oh and then a Kingfisher turned up for about 5 seconds! Patience brngs its own rewards and all that.

15 Likes

I do enjoy observing animal behaviour. It was fascinating watching the Jay jump, bump and hop around the trees, clearly visiting familar nooks for food. It was very interested in whatever was inside this broken branch…

2 Likes

Another shot of our garden guardian!

Also got a great binocular view of a Peregrine Falcon yesterday whilst out on a walk - seemed to be contemplating whether our dog was edible!

Cheers,

Ian

14 Likes

Aha, foiled by the squirrell proof feeder

Contemplating thoughts when aware he’s being watched

Which are that he’s smarter than the person who designed the feeder, has identified its weakest point and is proceeding to break in!

2 Likes

We have a new feeder in the garden and watching the local squirrel plan how he intends to break in has been highly entertaining. So far feeder 1, squirrel 0. But they are clever blighters so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Our bird feeders are on a metal feeder ‘tree’
To stop squirrels even getting as far as the squirrel proofed feeders I’ve greased the pole with a smear coat of vaseline, and that is real fun to watch, squirrels hanging on for all they’re worth and slo-o-w-l-y sliding back to earth. The regulars have given up, but still have a long lingering look.
Most fun time is when the new seasons youngsters have a go, both sliding down the pole, but also trying to jump onto the feeder from a 2m high fence and not quite making it, bouncing squirrels ! :rofl:

1 Like

Why all the squirrel hate? They need to eat too you know :wink:

1 Like

I don’t hate them, it’s just we have 5 of them and they eat more than their share!

However I find them very entertaining, there is a clear hierarchy within the tribe/group/scurry/dray(?)

1 Like

Talking about squirrels. My mother has many bird feeders in her garden. One feeder has a metal cage with a latch that holds a large suet cake. One of the little buggers actually figured out how to open the latch and steal the whole suet cake! My mother saw the squirrel gorging itself with the suet cake.

She had to put tie wraps on the cage holder to prevent him from doing it again.

The little darlings

1 Like

Some Grey squirrel hate here…. Saw a couple of greys today, couldn’t shoot them as between me and a neighbour’s house. Before you judge we have Reds, and they need lots of protection, or we lose them…
Gun ready………

3 Likes

I get that, though I could never deliberately kill any animal. Bottom line is, it is not the squirrels fault.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree and not something done lightly……

2 Likes

‘Got myself a fishee…’

9 Likes

Yep, we have a couple of those. Not sure if they’re a couple as they’re not as agressive to eachother as Robins usually are…

3 Likes