Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

If you have a pair of Robins that are not aggressive to each other, they will be a M+F pair.
We had a pair for the last two years, but this winter its just the one. Its busy ‘organising’ the tits & finches on the feeders.
Talking of finches, we had a large flock of Goldfinches on the feeders & trees this morning, impossible to count as they won’t be still long enough, but must have been 20.

1 Like

Not sure where to post this, but I thought it was interesting. Attached, if you can read it, is the list of the birds and animals that our local Wildlife Hospital has taken in as casualties in the last year here in South Worcestershire. It is a fascinating list I think.

Tony Iommi is the patron of the Charity, ( bit of stuff on his involvement in the newsletter) and we always visit the open days and also contribute in a very small way. I have attached the news letter link in case the list is too small to read on its own.

1 Like

If you ask me, that wood pigeon is milking it.

1 Like

Not clear on whether they would release Mink back into the wild.

Strange rotation of birds in the garden. Sparrows have moved in since a neighbour had trees felled and a pyracantha hedge removed. They have been joined by starlings that are messy, bullies and noisy. The various tits have almost disappeared.
Then in the past week its almost a rehearsal for Birdwatch, possibly spring is coming, five blackbirds, a thrush, wrens, dunnocks, blackcaps, robins, all three types of woodpecker. A couple of tits make fleeting appearances when the starlings are not around. Then one I cannot work out. Unable to get a picture because it is always on the far side of the feeders. Bigger than a dunnock, smaller than a blackbird, quite distinguished, not as bright green as a greenfinch, more tending to olive green/brown. Insect eating beak, no stripes in the colouring. I’ve been through my books and the nearest I get is a garden warbler.
West country, so that would nof be around at this time of year. Any thoughts please?

We seem to have a few more Kingfishers this year. Which is nice.

10 Likes

Another regular

3 Likes

And a visiting Filigree Siberian Hamster

5 Likes

Wrens are well known communal winter roosters, as are many other birds.
They group roost in anything that gives shelter, from hollow trees to empty bird boxes.
BTO say there highest recorded number is 61 in a nest box.

Trying to figure out what this is. I figure a Reed Bunting? Just looks very ‘fresh’.

4 Likes

I agree, a reed bunting, with a bad paint job

1 Like

Often wonder why Blackbirds are called Blackbirds when the girls aren’t… Anyway, this one was singing a tune in the plum tree and came down closer for once rather than running away as is usual. She then decided to dance for me. Showgirl!

6 Likes

Doing what it says on the tin!

7 Likes

Had a Firecrest in the garden this morning. Hopped about in the holly bush for about 30 seconds, not staying in one place for more than about 5 seconds. So didn’t manage to pick up the camera.

First one I’ve ever seen, although I’ve seen goldcrests a few times.

3 Likes

Ever so slightly larger than Goldcrest. We have Goldcrests hopping under some of our feeders, but not had Firecrest in the garden. Just a little jealous…

1 Like

Tufted Titmouse, a rare visitor in our yard.

5 Likes

Nice to see Haim….always feel by the time you get to late January local natural food supplies must be very low. We generally find numbers up a little at our feeders at this time of year

1 Like

Don’t even think about it

Imgur

11 Likes

Hi Haim,

You get to see some fabulous birds! Are you in the eastern US? Many years ago, with work, I got to spend a few weeks in Nevada and Utah and was astonished at the species I manged to see. Another trip took me to eastern Canada and that was equally rewarding.

Cheers,

Ian

@Jamiewednesday don’t put Basil in the ratatouille :joy: