Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Ahh but white eye ring.:wink:. For FULL black try

NB not my pic… courtesy of Wikipedia.

:innocent:. That said I hate Gull ID ….

Indeed you beat me to it with the Little Gull with the black head covering… but blackish pointed bill,I love gull ID, because it can be so difficult!.. with plumages changing with seasons, year one and two juveniles, breeding and non breeding… and natural species variation… and there are some rare species out there too such as the yellow legged gulll… with a yellow /orange eye ring…

Imgur
I took this Image locally in July.

I also find the sounds are very helpful, and the Mediterranean Gull has quite a distinctive call.

A herring gull passing from adolescent plumage to adult plumage… with mix of feathers …

Imgur

4 Likes

Now that’s why I hate gull ID… lesser BBG looks v similar!

Edit referring to first shot as I see you have added a second

They do up here ! ……:slightly_smiling_face:

Edit. Simon can’t keep up with your edits !:wink:
Edit. Nice pics by the way

Indeed, but the legs and eye rings are not as pronounced. Lesser black backed gulls also I think tend to have darker backs.

1 Like

Yes lesser back backed gulls don’t have as much of an orange/yellow eye ring.
I think yellow legged gulls do look quite striking with their eye ring surrounds.
Thanks for compliment about pictures… bit of a passion taking pictures of sea and river birds… great way to relax and enjoy nature, and blessed with great opportunity where I live.

@ChifChaf … The reason I suggested the full black head of the Mediterranean Gull is it’s a UK breeding resident, the Little Gull is coastal passage only.

1 Like

The tiny Zorro was trying his best today to avoid eye contact with me, or more precisely, with my 300 mm lens.

A Cedar Waxwing on a grey day.

9 Likes

I think I saw something else…

3 Likes

A dismal weather day in the mountains today; but, at least I managed to get a shot of this male Ptarmigan, who kindly flew towards me and landed in full view.

Cheers,

Ian

9 Likes

Goodbye

Sandhill Cranes are heading south today by their hundreds and everyone of them has something to say…

6 Likes

From very far

The guy made sure to put a creek between us not to be disturbed. The rain had just stopped and he was probably thinking about lunch.

9 Likes

Fabulous birds, especially in winter when can be found in groups sometimes

That’s as close as I ever got to one. The other day was the first time I saw a couple together from a very far distance. They stay on the other side of the river where there are no trails so they get the privacy of a gated community.

1 Like

Bald Eagle?
He’s looking bit like a lawn ornament. :upside_down_face:

In the field of dreams

A resting moment for the Kestrel who has been hovering for long minutes over the field looking for something to munch on.

14 Likes

Can anyone help me with this one?

Is it a Redwing or a Fieldfare? I’ve consulted my bird ID but they are so similar that I can’t work it out.

Thanks

Tim

IMGP4221-2

2 Likes

It looks like a field fare, no bold white eye stripe, grey head side and the shaped spotted breast area going into the light grey under belly.

1 Like

Thanks, nice bit of info. I keep seeing a small bit of red on the top of the wing which made me lean towards a Redwing.

Tim

These two birds are often found in mixed flocks together in the UK. When seen together they are not hard to differentiate. Difficulty sometimes comes when seen at distance in low winter sunlight. From the photo I would have to go the other way from Mike and say it’s a redwing.
Stand to be corrected of course….